Wright Cyclone R-1820-97 Radial Engine

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Gil, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

Preliminary frontal drawing of the Wright Cyclone engine is included for your perusal below. Just getting an idea of the major components that will need to be addressed to make the 3D paper model. It's already an interesting project. Use 1.686 inches as the diameter for the B-17G. The JPEG below isn't scaled for other than showing here on this site.

Best regards, Gil
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

This looks most promising - great work you're doing, Gil!

Leif
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

Thanks..., the fin detail didn't translate well from CAD to JPEG. I'll have to use a different hatch to make the detail stand out better.

More later, Gil
  4. Tonino

Tonino Member

WHY.... did I make it too early? :cry:

I'm very envious of you all having your B17 still unbuilded...

I feel we are going to see lots of wonders here...

Tonino
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Return of the Cyclone

Hi All,

Started further work on the Wright Aeronautical Cyclone R-1820-97 engine for the B-17 fans..., fin detail will be applied with in paint after surface development. Most time was spent resolving ratio metrics from photographs. Hard way to do a design but you do get to really know the equipment this way. This ought to look decent when completed and will serve also as the basis for the R-2600 double row. The Pratt & Whitney R-1830 and double row variants should be a fairly simple modification along the same theme which will fill the stable under the cowl for a good many designs when completed.

Best regards, Gil
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Where Gil's heading

Looking good, Gil! The rest of you guys, if you want to get an impression of where Gil's heading, here's a sample of another artist (albeit not a card modeler), Griff Wason, and his Wright J-5 Whirlwind:

[​IMG]

The Whirlwind was the 1920's ancestor of the Cyclone. If you want to admire more by that artist, here's a link which will give you many a screen background image to gloat over (don't miss the uncovered Triplane, plus the WW1 Hispano Suiza V8 and Le Rhone rotary engines):

http://www.caligari.com/Gallery/OneManShow/GriffWason/default.asp?Cate=GOneManShow

Leif
  7. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Thanks for your comments.

Lief, Griff Wasson's work is remarkable and he's even done a cardmodel or two for clients. Mark, Vicenzi's work is an artform unto itself as is Wasson's but I feel his work leans more toward commercial illustration which is what he does for a living (imagine that). His website is also his advertising and by all appearences it seems to work well.

The drawing posted is the actual surface model for the engine cylinder so is constrained to be constructed from card stock. The CAD drawing provides "paperless" building of the model and the ability to visualize it interactively. At this point the interest is in the surface shape and it's ability to be assembled into a credible likeness of the original. The interior mounting of the cylinder still needs to be finished but promises to make assembling the parts a lot easier.

Gil
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Gil, and others. Never meant to hijack this thread to promote Griff Wason, so I started another one, just to get the links down on record. I'll leave it at that and continue watching your work with admiration and great expectations!

Leif
  10. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

I've been collecting reference photos of the 1820, in anticipation of doing something exactly like this, for the R-1820-52 of the SBD Dauntless.

Here are a few of by favorite images.

The ASh-62 was a russian clone of the R-1820, and the example shown here has the the same "cattywumpus" offset prop governor as the -52. I beleive the series used on multi-engine planes, such as the B-17 and DC-3, had centerline governors, like the drawing shows.

Gil:

A request.

Can you post this in Corel Draw format, when it's done?

I promise, I'll have something to give away, in return, soon.

Also, if you want, I can post bigger versions of these, and other photos I've collected, in my gallery.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Posting R-1820 Results

Atomsk,

I'm glad you can use the design..., that's the intention of parking the results in the parts bin upon completion.

Slow But Deadly is also one of my favorites and the point you brought out regarding the govenor being on the left side of the engine I really hadn't noticed till you pointed it out...., too much concentration on a single subject can do that. Halinski is owed a debt for their design of the "Cyclonski" used on the Polikarpov I-16 issue. It doesn't include the governor or the oil sump on the bottom but no one will notice as all this is included behind engine shutters but would be noticed on the SBD. The governor and sump will be posistionable on the finished design. I'll include an alternate for the older -52 and -60 variants.

One item that I'm curious about is how do you feel about ignition harness distribution? I'm thinking about providing a "building board jig" to make this chore one that anyone can accomplish...,

A last but important item is the file format. What file extensions are compatible with Corel's import facilities?

Best regards, Gil
  12. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Gil, Atomsk: I just assume you've accessed this (very!) big image of an 1820 Cyclone. It is from the Aircraft Enginge Historical Society website, well worth perusing in general or searching for specific engines.

Gil, very good idea (and nice of you to think about it), the "building board jig". Just the kind of thing one would want for a task like that.

Leif
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Some Rendering Results

Leif et al,

The following took a little time to find the path of least resistance to get the job done. It will be a very useful technique for a myriad of mechanical texture detail that would be nearly impossible to do by hand drawn art. The texture of the engine will be very convincing which meets my needs in the third precision digit. The following is self explanatory.

Best regards, Gil
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

R-1820-97 Photo

Leif,

Bookmarked the Engine History site. Thanks!

The photograph below is the best that I've found on the web. I'm posting it so all will have reference to it.

A local aviation museum happens to have the very engine in question and I'll be making a visit with camera, and measuring equipment sometime next week. It's a marvelous find as it's mostly in pieces which is perfect from the blueprinting point of view. They also have a plethora of other round engines including Pratt & Whitneys. Need to stay focused on the current one or it will never be finished. The last line is for Dustin (just to see if he's lurking about).

Best regards, Gil
  15. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Beautiful texture, Gil. And, oh, rest assured - in Dustin's temporary absense - that the Pratt & Whitney 14-cylinder double row will be much appreciated, too, once the time comes for it. Isn't that the one used in DC3s and B24s? - L.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif,

The double row P&W R-1830 series was used extensively in both aircraft and in many fighter aircraft also. Pilots of DC-3s equipped with Wright radials reputedly had kidney problems from increased vibration produced by those engines. P&W made vibration reduction an emphasis of its designs.

The texture appears more like corrugated roofing at the present time. The point being that a 2D representation of any type of surface can be used as the "cookie dough" to be cutout by the developed part (vector mask method). Thus allowing the transformation of flat 2D jpegs to be wrapped around "flat" circular cylinders using a "mesh" warp that is common in many paint packages. In short a sample area of the real cylinder cooling fin is taken and developed through blending the edges of a step and repeat process into a texture map for say the cylinder barrel etc. The analysis of use claims are rather endless as applied to cardmodels.

In fact this should be of great nterest to you as a very useful "repaint" tool....,

The bell housing for the gear reduction unit mostly completed last night and I hope to get rest of the cylinder casing done today for a preliminary rendering.

More later, Gil
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Work In Progress

Update,

Cobbled together enough parts to see what it looks like.

Gil
  18. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wow! You've really come a long way - congrat's! - L.
  19. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Schweeeet!
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

WIP Post

Update:

Results of experiment with wrapping the cooling fin texture map onto the cylinder head surfaces. All 2D so transport to the "unwrpper" should retain the texture maps (key word is "should"). See what you think...,

Gil

P.S. Decided to proceed this way..., 3D fins are just to compute intensive for my patience (not to mention the CPU) and besides Pepakura can't handle them anyway...,