Wright Brothers Glider!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by nemo, Oct 15, 2006.

1. nemo

nemo Member

(please feel free to move or delete this thread. I'm new here and am not really sure where this topic belongs, sorry).

In 6th grade (1992) our class built a full size replica of the Wright Brother's glider! We made the ABC national news for our project.

It literally took all year. We learned about the structure that the Wright Brothers used for their design by building replicas that were about the length of my computer keyboard. Toothpicks, balsa wook, tissue paper, lol.

But then we built a full size replica. It took months to build and then we tried flying it on top of Cadilac Mountain, which is near Bar Harbor, Maine. It didn't really fly though. Oh well.

I believe it's on display at the Aeronautical museum in Washington DC. Have any of you built full size replicas of famous planes? Or have you built anything that you can actually fly? The 6th grade class ahead of mine built a replica of one of the Apollo spacecraft. Obviously they didn't attempt to fly that!! ;-) It's amazing how far we've come as humans in the past 100 years with flight.

Have a good day everyone!
    -Nemo
  2. nemo

nemo Member

(please feel free to move or delete this thread. I'm new here and am not really sure where this topic belongs, sorry).

In 6th grade (1992) our class built a full size replica of the Wright Brother's glider! We made the ABC national news for our project.

It literally took all year. We learned about the structure that the Wright Brothers used for their design by building replicas that were about the length of my computer keyboard. Toothpicks, balsa wook, tissue paper, lol.

But then we built a full size replica. It took months to build and then we tried flying it on top of Cadilac Mountain, which is near Bar Harbor, Maine. It didn't really fly though. Oh well.

I believe it's on display at the Aeronautical museum in Washington DC. Have any of you built full size replicas of famous planes? Or have you built anything that you can actually fly? The 6th grade class ahead of mine built a replica of one of the Apollo spacecraft. Obviously they didn't attempt to fly that!! ;-) It's amazing how far we've come as humans in the past 100 years with flight.

Have a good day everyone!
    -Nemo
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey thats pretty cool :) Never built anything like that myself. Got any pics?
    Chris
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey thats pretty cool :) Never built anything like that myself. Got any pics?
    Chris
  5. nemo

nemo Member

I don't have any... I'm in the middle of a few projects right now... give me a few hours and I'll see if our school or if the museum has any pics. There has GOT to be some sort of article online about our glider.

Thanks Chris. It was a lot of fun to build. Actually, now that I think about it, I had a huge picture of myself and one other classmate working on the glider in our local paper (color picture, and back then, that was a big deal!) I'll dig that out of my photo album in the next few days and scan that.

Take care!
    -Nemo
  6. nemo

nemo Member

I don't have any... I'm in the middle of a few projects right now... give me a few hours and I'll see if our school or if the museum has any pics. There has GOT to be some sort of article online about our glider.

Thanks Chris. It was a lot of fun to build. Actually, now that I think about it, I had a huge picture of myself and one other classmate working on the glider in our local paper (color picture, and back then, that was a big deal!) I'll dig that out of my photo album in the next few days and scan that.

Take care!
    -Nemo
  7. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Your 6th grade class sounds alot cooer than mine was back in '03.
  8. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Your 6th grade class sounds alot cooer than mine was back in '03.
  9. nemo

nemo Member

Well, yes, it was fun. But we weren't prepared for junior high school at all and my grades were horrible! It took me the entire year of 7th grade to get used to taking "real" classes again... and doing homework.
  10. nemo

nemo Member

Well, yes, it was fun. But we weren't prepared for junior high school at all and my grades were horrible! It took me the entire year of 7th grade to get used to taking "real" classes again... and doing homework.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Making 1:1s

Built several Rogallo wings in the early 1960's before finally getting one we could actually fly. They were made out of bamboo carpet poles, soaked and boiled sisal rope, polyethylene sheet plastic and duct tape. Later the generic term "Bamboo Butterfly" was used to describe them in what later became known as the hang glider revolution. They were a blast to fly and that's where I learned basic flight skills...,

-Gil
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Making 1:1s

Built several Rogallo wings in the early 1960's before finally getting one we could actually fly. They were made out of bamboo carpet poles, soaked and boiled sisal rope, polyethylene sheet plastic and duct tape. Later the generic term "Bamboo Butterfly" was used to describe them in what later became known as the hang glider revolution. They were a blast to fly and that's where I learned basic flight skills...,

-Gil
  13. nemo

nemo Member

Gil,

You actually flew them?!? Wow, I'm beyond highly impressed. Your nickname should be Panda since you're "obsessed" with bamboo ;-)

BTW, I love your name... it's the name of the fish in my avatar along with Nemo (plus the last name of my boyfriend) I have a fondness for you already.
  14. nemo

nemo Member

Gil,

You actually flew them?!? Wow, I'm beyond highly impressed. Your nickname should be Panda since you're "obsessed" with bamboo ;-)

BTW, I love your name... it's the name of the fish in my avatar along with Nemo (plus the last name of my boyfriend) I have a fondness for you already.