Wrebbit Model lineup.

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by rickstef, Nov 22, 2004.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

Some of us might remember, and even have some of these kits
    There were 6 kits produced by Wrebbit, a Montreal, Canada company, now known for their Puzz 3D, 3 dimensional puzzles and regular jigsaw puzzles.
    2 clocks, a camera, a carousel, a Harley, and a Mercedes Benz 500K were released.

The Mercedes Benz has a scale of 1:10 and according to the instruction booklet, the car has a motor of sorts, a retraction action type of mechanism.
    The parts are double sided printed, thin cardstock(poster board) and some printed on heavy cardboard, includes some thin dowels for the axles.
    More to come to from continued research.
    Here is a picture
    [​IMG]

The Harley is copy of the Softtail model, scale is unknown at the moment, just won it on ebay :mrgreen:
    Here is a picture
    [​IMG]

The camera is very interesting model, reminds me of a old bellows style camera, even includes fabric to be glued to paper for the bellows.
    A 35mm roll of film can be used to take picture, the kit includes a lens and a cap, also reminds me of a pinhole camera, will have to research/read the instruction booklet.
    [​IMG]

The carousel is another interesting kit, you can actually spin the unit, and it plays music.
    For now that is all I know about the kit, more to come of course.
    [​IMG]

The remaining two kits are clocks, one reminds me of a old fashioned Black Forest cookoo clock, the other reminds me of an enlarged analog watch face.
    Both kits have gears and mechanisms showing, and can actually keep time, should be fun build for anyone liking detail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come once I actually receive all of them, I have the camera, the watch style clock, and the 500K currently.
    I will try to give detail if anyone needs or wants more.

If this has caught your attention and interest, ebay tends to have a fair offering of sellers who are parting with these kits, best number of hits come on wrebbit, there are loads of the 3d puzzle kits, but you can also do a search on each of the kits, better chance of getting a hit.

Hope this inspires

Rick
  2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

The Mercedes is actually a very nice looking model. I've had the kit nearly finished and sitting on a shelf for years now. The "motor mehcanism" is actually a bungie type cord that stretches and wraps around the axle in such a way that when yo pull the car back it want's to unroll and move forwards. It goes together much differently that most paper models, and a lot of the detail comes from the coloring and not from actual shape or number of pieces. Maybe someday i will finish it. Btw, JRSeese has a picture of the completed one in his album
    http://www.cardmodels.net/phpbb2/album_personal.php?user_id=163
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Wrebbit's Peace Tower Clock

Hi all,

Here are some of the stats on the Peace Tower Clock.

For those not in the know, it is this one
    [​IMG]

The kit consists of 668 parts, on about 12 sheets.
    Every sheet is die-cut, and and marked with little glue bottle icons, indicating where other parts get glued to.

96 pages long is the instruction book, there is even a 4 page hint guide, and a 4 page template sheet for the frame parts.

The finished clock face has a diameter of 14.25 inches(36.3 cms) and is 6 3/8 inches(16.2 cms) deep.

The box cover even claims a 48 hour build time, from start to finish.
    The hardware kit contains dowel pieces, and some metal rods and some thread for gears and other movement parts.

The copyright date is 1993, and from what I can see, this is one first kits to be released by Wrebbit, the other kits I have have late 90's and a 2000 copyright date.

More to come on the other kits

Rick
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

To continue on our review/revue of the Wrebbit model line, I would like to present one of the more detailed and biggest parts wise.

The Carousel
    [​IMG]

This kit is also one of the heaviest out there, a good 5 or 6 pounds.
    31 sheets with 877 parts, die cut of course.
    The 116 page instruction booklet allows you to build the carousel with one of two different methods of making the carousel turn, a wind up mechanism, not unlike a old tin mechanical toy, and wheel crank, similar to some of the automata kits out there today.

In addition to the hardware kit, there is a music box, I haven't put the 3 AA batteries it needs to play, so I can not tell you what it plays.

The dimensions on the finished kit is 44cm(17.25 inches) in all 3 directions, height, width and depth.

Maybe this will inspire some to get this model and maybe build it with their kids or even spouse.

More to come

Rick
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Coming back to the remaining kits in the Wrebbit line up, Next up is the Harley

The model represents a Harley-Davidson Softtail.
    [​IMG]

The kit has a copyright date of 2000, and a scale of 1:6, same size as the Yamaha motorcycles.

The box contains 12 sheets, with 273 parts, and the instruction book has 119 pages.

The model can be built a number of different ways.
    with or with out saddlebags, rear seat, or flames on the fenders and tank, yes you read it right, flames on the tank and fenders.

As with the other kits from Wrebbit, this one includes a hardware kit, axles, dowels, and some other stuff I forgot at the moment.
    The kit also includes a plastic sheet for the windshield, and one of the coolest add ons, metallic silver thread for the spokes, yes you have to spoke the wheels.

I will have to take a better look at the hardware kit and the box to see what is included, and what the estimated build time is for the motorcycle.

More to come, we are only half way through the line up

Rick
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I am back with my reviews of the Wrebbit model kits.

This time around the Camera gets the spot light

[​IMG]

The kit was originally produced in 1997.
    And is printed on 10 sheets, with 191 parts.

As I mentioned in the main post, there is a piece of black cloth included, and some plastic, where the cloth gets glued onto, a template/pattern is included as well in order to cut the fabric down.

The camera is quite large, width is 6 3/4 inches, height is 10 3/4 inches and the depth is 9 inches, 17, 27 and 23 centimeters respectively.

The kit includes a hardware kit, containing the lens, lens cover, and some smaller bits and pieces I am forgetting.

The instruction manual is the smallest of the models, numbering 76 pages.

Four down, two to go

Rick
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I am back with my reviews of the Wrebbit model kits.

This time around the Camera gets the spot light

[​IMG]

The kit was originally produced in 1997.
    And is printed on 10 sheets, with 191 parts.

As I mentioned in the main post, there is a piece of black cloth included, and some plastic, where the cloth gets glued onto, a template/pattern is included as well in order to cut the fabric down.

The camera is quite large, width is 6 3/4 inches, height is 10 3/4 inches and the depth is 9 inches, 17, 27 and 23 centimeters respectively.

The kit includes a hardware kit, containing the lens, lens cover, and some smaller bits and pieces I am forgetting.

The instruction manual is the smallest of the models, numbering 76 pages.

Four down, two to go

Rick
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ebay :)
    Chris
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I have seen them for some unknown reason go over $150 but I bought mine for $25 +shipping.
  10. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Wow - a few years back they had about 30 of these at the local Toys'R'Us for clearance, I think it was $8 each. I bought one for myself and my dad. $150? that's just nuts.
  11. pattysue

pattysue New Member

I would like to know how I can purchase this kit?
  12. bulldogowner

bulldogowner Destroyer of Spam Moderator

About the only way to buy these anymore is to look for them on E-Bay.