World's Newest Railway

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
You can catch the train from Sydney too.

Leave Sydney 2:55pm Saturday afternoon arrive Darwin 4pm Tuesday afternoon.

fares & timetable

on this

ghan.jpg

and should swee freight like this on the line. (bit hard to find pics of trains on a line that just opened!!)

20010602railway1.jpg

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
I believe this is the loco they are using for the first freight service.

Done out in "indigenous" livery.

ghan.jpg

Tyson,

Yep. I've got heaps of room now. :thumb: I have a 9 car set of The Ghan, so I'll need the straight stretches to match the prototype. :)

(This isn't mine, but the real thing). :)

ghan.jpg

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Great pictures Woodie and I'm glad to see it is now up and running. I read quite a lot about it when I was in OZ last May and June. All I could get my wife to do trainwise then was to humor me and ride the XPT from Melbourne to Sydney. That was just a short run of about 11 hours. Looked into riding from Cairns to Brisbane, but as I recall that was two and a half days:) :)

Anyway, good on ya mate.

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
and the loco that was going to haul it is called the "Steve Irwin". I think they dropped that just recently, as you would probably be aware of his recent antics.

click here and here andhere

As you can see by the date on the articles, he isn't that popular here, even before the feeding the crocodile babies for breakfast incident.

He has always been considered a "dork", let alone after his latest antics.

He's about as typically Australian as Gerry Lewis is typically American.

12378_256.jpg

F

Fred_M

Please don't confuse the real Jerry Lewis with the part he plays in movies. The real Jerry Lewis is a nice normal man with a low voice. Michael Jackson is weird though. We need to deport him to Greece. All you non-americans need to know is most of us Americans are a cross between John Wayne and Rambo. :D :D :D DASH

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Woodie;

I checked out the fares on the Ghan and is seem to cost a wee bit more than what I paid to ride the XPT. I wonder if they'll get the ridership on it that they have enjoyed on the Indian Pacific over the years?

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Bob,

Supposedly sold $16 million in presales tickets, and the Ghan through to Darwin don't start till Feb 1st. Not bad for a passenger service that runs once a week!! :cool:

Still can't find any piccies of the first Adelaide - Darwin train!!! :curse: :mad: