World War I Fighter

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by NOBI, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ron, thanks for pointing the article out. How soon we forget....,

Ordered Manfred's Red Triplane...., Roman does an outstanding job of outfitting the entire Imperial German Flying Corps on his site. Couldn't resist the Triplane as the cowl will be made of aluminum naturally. Also discoved a neat trick in making the Spandaus look real. This is going to take a little time away from the aluminum B-17G (which is proceeding apace) but these little diversions do happen once and anon...,

Best regards, Gil
  2. morewings

morewings New Member

Hi Jim, hi Gil,

larger photos of the triplanes you find on my website and also in my album.

regards
    Roman
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks, Roman:

Yes, I found your site last night, and ended up ordering one of your beautiful DR1.

I was wondering when you were going to have any of my favorite planes, the Fokker D7 available?

Absolutely great looking kits, Roman! :D
    I can't wait to see what they look like in person. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  4. Renaud

Renaud Member

5. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

I've got to say DRI and Sopwith Camel, I grew up thinking Snoopy was the one who shot down the Red Baron. I was told he flew a white Sopwith Camel though. I think I was 20 years old when I realized snoopy was a cartoon dog that really flew an orange doghouse, and they never figured out who really shot down the Red Baron!
  6. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

I've got to say DRI and Sopwith Camel, I grew up thinking Snoopy was the one who shot down the Red Baron. I was told he flew a white Sopwith Camel though. I think I was 20 years old when I realized snoopy was a cartoon dog that really flew an orange doghouse, and they never figured out who really shot down the Red Baron!
  7. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Roy Brown, and don't believe what the Aussies claim.
  8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Roy Brown, and don't believe what the Aussies claim.
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Well,

For me the absolute top-of-the-line fighter will have to be the Fokker E. V/ D. VIII parasol monoplane. It didn´t see much action in 1918, but had the war lasted a bit longer, it would have replaced the D. VII as it was very manouverable. The first planes had wing failures which delayed production to the front. After the war it was in service in Holland and Poland, among others.
    Second-in-line is the fore-runner 'Eindecker', the sleek and beautiful Fokker E. III, which was one of the most successful fighters of the early stages of the Great War. With it´s propeller-synchronized machine gun, it was responsible, in 1915, for the allied nick name "The Fokker Scourge".
    The Fokker E. I had a slightly shorter fuselage and the last model, the E IV had a more powerful, twin-row rotary engine. Although it was better equipped than the E. III, the E. III had better flying characteristics and manouverability.
    Next-in-line would be the Fokker Dr. I, because the sheer beauty of it. This was, along with the Albatross, one of the most successful German fighters in 1917 and 1918. However, I´m not so interested in the 'usual' red scheme (Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr von Richthoven) but rather in the early prototypes and the blue-green (Werner Voss) and black-white (Ernst Udet) colour schemes.
    The Dr. I and the D. VIII were my first balsa 'stick & tissue' kits, so that might have something to do with my interest in Fokkers.

I´m also very much impressed with the heavy twin-engined German bombers, the Gotha and the Zeppelin Staaken, and the French Caudron G. III.

WW I aeroplane buff,
    Bengt:lol:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Well,

For me the absolute top-of-the-line fighter will have to be the Fokker E. V/ D. VIII parasol monoplane. It didn´t see much action in 1918, but had the war lasted a bit longer, it would have replaced the D. VII as it was very manouverable. The first planes had wing failures which delayed production to the front. After the war it was in service in Holland and Poland, among others.
    Second-in-line is the fore-runner 'Eindecker', the sleek and beautiful Fokker E. III, which was one of the most successful fighters of the early stages of the Great War. With it´s propeller-synchronized machine gun, it was responsible, in 1915, for the allied nick name "The Fokker Scourge".
    The Fokker E. I had a slightly shorter fuselage and the last model, the E IV had a more powerful, twin-row rotary engine. Although it was better equipped than the E. III, the E. III had better flying characteristics and manouverability.
    Next-in-line would be the Fokker Dr. I, because the sheer beauty of it. This was, along with the Albatross, one of the most successful German fighters in 1917 and 1918. However, I´m not so interested in the 'usual' red scheme (Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr von Richthoven) but rather in the early prototypes and the blue-green (Werner Voss) and black-white (Ernst Udet) colour schemes.
    The Dr. I and the D. VIII were my first balsa 'stick & tissue' kits, so that might have something to do with my interest in Fokkers.

I´m also very much impressed with the heavy twin-engined German bombers, the Gotha and the Zeppelin Staaken, and the French Caudron G. III.

WW I aeroplane buff,
    Bengt:lol:
  11. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Roman:

Is it possible to get the link to your site?

Thanks...CharlieB
  12. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Roman:

Is it possible to get the link to your site?

Thanks...CharlieB
  13. Brian Williams

Brian Williams New Member

I have not seen Romans models (post the link ?)...but I am a bit partial to the Wings of Horus kits. And Marcus has a few "skins" to make several different versions of the Fokker Triplane. They build well, and have quite realistic features (like the engines).
  14. Brian Williams

Brian Williams New Member

I have not seen Romans models (post the link ?)...but I am a bit partial to the Wings of Horus kits. And Marcus has a few "skins" to make several different versions of the Fokker Triplane. They build well, and have quite realistic features (like the engines).
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Roman Seißler´s Home Page

Hi Brian,

I suppose this is the page you´re looking for:

http://www.paperwarbirds.net/content.do?page=page.1_home&language=lang.en

It´s a very good one - lots of wonderful Dr. I triplanes to choose from, and very soon even Fokker D. VIIs and perhaps an Albatross D. V or two.
    I have the F. I of Werner Voss - it´s a beauty! I can really recommend these detailed models.

best regards,
    Bengt:)
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Roman Seißler´s Home Page

Hi Brian,

I suppose this is the page you´re looking for:

http://www.paperwarbirds.net/content.do?page=page.1_home&language=lang.en

It´s a very good one - lots of wonderful Dr. I triplanes to choose from, and very soon even Fokker D. VIIs and perhaps an Albatross D. V or two.
    I have the F. I of Werner Voss - it´s a beauty! I can really recommend these detailed models.

best regards,
    Bengt:)
  17. keith

keith Member

Eindecker
    DH2
    fokker DII
    albertros??
    neuport 17
    spad 13
    Dr1 in brown?

vickers vimmy is a bomber - i've seen it flying :)
    I always go by the WW1 aces aircraft, thats why they aircraft were famous.
    i like the DH2 because it was chaufer driven!
  18. keith

keith Member

Eindecker
    DH2
    fokker DII
    albertros??
    neuport 17
    spad 13
    Dr1 in brown?

vickers vimmy is a bomber - i've seen it flying :)
    I always go by the WW1 aces aircraft, thats why they aircraft were famous.
    i like the DH2 because it was chaufer driven!
  19. Darwin

Darwin Member

As long as we're dreaming, how about the Walfisch?
  20. Darwin

Darwin Member

As long as we're dreaming, how about the Walfisch?