Working on the MDC shay

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Ray Marinaccio, Nov 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge Frank.
    Thank you for the compliments. You will find a number of people here who can help with the MDC Shays. If you have a specific question please post it.
  2. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

This may be a little out of place but I will ask anyway. I just purchased an MDC 2 truck Shay and after seeing this thread I am worried I may have made a mistake. I was just wondering if buying the "Building the MDC Shay" book would be any help or if it is not worth the money, is it necissary, or highly recommended? How much will this book help? Also any tips on things to do before hand so that I don't totally screw this model up would help!?!?

Thanks, Freelancer
  3. Ray Marinaccio

Freelancer,
    There are alot of good tips in the book . However some are a bit outdated. There's a lot of tips and recommendations here on The Gauge in different threads.
    I borrowed that book when I built this Shay the first time. It did help.
    Unless your going to make major modifications like motor and gearbox transplants it won't be so bad.
    I went a little overboard on this rebuild, It doesn't have to get that complicated. Some of the main issues will be the electrical pickups, (I think the ones Paul mentioned would be a good choice) and getting the drivetrain timed correctly so it doesn't bind.
    There are a number of people here that can answer questions if you run into problems.
  4. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

I have finally received my much awaited Shay, I am so very excited and have been working on it for the past few days. Ray, I just have to say that your work is incredible and that I have been using it as a guide, it has helped me out a lot, Thanks. Now on for my first question in this project. I have gotten the majority of the engine built so that I can see what I am trying to get and where I need to fine tune it. First of all, what kind of grease or oil should I use to lubricate the mechanisms? Also when you painted your motor, did you take the drive shaft out? Or did you leave it in, the instructions say not to paint the drive shaft, but then it looks kind of funny being unpainted. Do you have any problems with the paint binding or slowing the motor?

Should I continue posting my questions here or should I start a new thread.

All of your help is very much appreciated, thanks Freelancer
  5. Ray Marinaccio

Freelancer,
    Good to hear your project is under way. Sounds like your making good progress.
    Any plastic compatible grease or oil will work , Labelle brand seems to be the most commonly used. I'm using up the last bit of some grease used in VCRs that a friend gave me. Just use grease for the gears and oil for bearings. (sparingly)
    As far as painting the drive shafts, I coat the mating parts of the universals with grease before painting . After the paint has dried I wipe the old grease off and regrease them for final assembly.
    Posting here isn't a problem. If you start another thread I'll find it.:D

Glad to help.:thumb:
  6. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

I know the importance of having oil in a car, but I never realized how vital it was to model trains. I wanted to see how well my drive train was working, so I ran the engine back and forth for about a minute and a half, I stopped to check something and when I put it back on it wouldn't go. I then pulled the trucks off and found that they were moving freely, then tried the motor and that was fine, I got to the main gear and the idler gear and they wouldn't budge, I pulled the assembly apart and found that I had melted one of the gears to the gear housing. Luckily I was able to pull it apart with minor damage.

Anyway, I found a bottle of this oil and I was wondering if it would be usable, it doesn't say if it is ok with plastic and I was wondering if you knew anything more about it. It has the Chevron logo on it and is called "RPM Handy Oil" it says on the bottle "any all purpose oil for household appliances, tools, machinery, garden and sporting equipment, etc." Contains petroleum distillate. I didn't know if it would cause any damage to plastic, but I have quite a bit of it so I didn't want to go out and buy something if I didn't need it.

Thanks, Freelancer

Attached Files:

7. Ray Marinaccio

Petroleum based lubricants will soften the plastic parts. You won't see the effects right away but eventually It will take it's toll.
    Being one who collects boxes of old train parts , Ive found a lot of stripped gears and locos with deteriorated gearboxes and frames(Rivarrossi) due to the use of petroleum based lubricants.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.