Working From Plans

Will_annand

While I am laying my track, I have been thinking about what I should put around it. In the way of structures I mean.

My layout will be based at the turn of the Century (19th to 20th). It is basically a rural setting, the Railhead on my layout will be Orangeville, Ontario. Back then it was a small town of about 2,000 people.

I love the look of the Campbell Scale Model kits, however I work in N Scale and Campbell has no desire to produce N kits right now.

I was wondering if any HO scale fellows had any of the plans for the kits and would be kind enough to scan and email them to me. If you email me, we can talk about compensation.

RailRon

Will, could you post a list of the Campbell structures you're interested in?

I have some Campbell kits and perhaps could help you out.

Ron

Will_annand

Thanks Ron. :thumb:

The ones that interest me would be the trackside bildings such as:
357-Coaling Station, 361-Freight Station, 376-Northern Water Tower and 384-Grain Elevator.

The industries:
391-Ayre’s Chair Factory, 422-Richmond Barrel Company, 444-Iron Foundry and 373-Warehouse.

And the town buildings like:
359-Church, 369-School House, 378-Sherry’s Scarlet Slipper Saloon, 383-Summer Bandstand, 387-Grandma’s House, 395-Picken’s Place, 398-Doc’s Office, 413-Carsten’s Flophouse, 364-Sheriff's Office, 365-Laundry and Cigar Stores, 366-Drug and Barber Shop, 381-Farm House and 382-Barn

I am trying to "fill" an 11.5' x 6.5' N Scale layout. :D

Anything would be a help.

RailRon

Will, I have only three of these kits: Chama coaling tower (357), Wayside freight station (361)* and Grandma's house (387).

I'll have to dig the kits out of my cupboards and then scan them in. However my own scanner is dead, so I have to take the plans to work. Therefore you'll have to wait a few days. I'll PM you when I'm ready, so that you can give me your e-mail address to have the files sent over to you.

Ron

*) The pic shows the freight station, which I already built 20 years ago - I hope I' still have the plans. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• TC Freight Station.jpg
    TC Freight Station.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 539

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Will,

I have found that a good source of plans is back issues of MR, RMC, etc. MR - especially pre-1997 seemed to have some prototype or another in every issue. My local train shop sells them for $0.50, and my local club for $0.25. Then you can photocopy reduce to the right size, and you're in business.

Andrew

Will_annand

Thanks Ron, no hurry, and your efforts are much appreciated.

Thanks Andrew:
I will keep an eye out, I have some, but getting the right 1880 rural look is sometimes difficult.

I have decided that for "Downtown Orangeville", I will take the 10-12 DPM kits and "bash" them into 2-3 blocks. They will run along the module in front of the Northbound (hidden return loop) track.

I have one Sylvan kit and I have marked about 3-4 more for future purchase.

Beyond that I want to try my hand at scratching a building.

Pooh Bah
Will:
are you familiar with the Ontario Cottage style building? It's about a square footprint, front has a door in the middle with a gable above and a window each side.
They were built from plans distributed by the Ontario government. They vary from 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 stories and the wall material can be anything.
Once you are aware of them, you see them in every town and out on the farms. They frequently are modified by the ownwers. I don't know if anyone makes a kit for them. We have a dozen of more in Brampton.

Will_annand

Funny you should mention it David, there are about 6 in a row across the street from me.
Do you know if they date back to 1900? I have not seen a model of them, but it might be something Sylvan would be interested in.

Thanks Gary, no rush.

Pooh Bah
Will: my info is all from memory. Someone did a photo display in the Brampton library last year. I looked at a couple of Architecture books, but didn't get much from them. I think they might be pre-1900.

Will,

I'm also modeling the 1880's, but in HO. I thought appropriate structures were limited in HO, can't imagine how hard they would be to find in N. I've built 3 or 4 of the Campbell's kits from your list and have several more as well. I also have several other period kits, such as Dyna-Model. I kept all the plans. I just made a copy of the plan view section of each to help figure out where to plant them. E-mail me your address privately and I'll see what I can do about sending you a copy.
Doc

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Will,

The "Ontario Gable" should be fine for a rural/small town feeling in 1880 - 1900. I do not recall a lot of them from my time in Orangeville, but I was just a kid not really paying attention to that sort of thing at the time... :rolleyes:

What I do remember is quite a few frame houses covered either with "novelty" siding (similar to clapboard) or done in red brick.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Will_annand

Doc, you can get my address off my company website: www.muskokacomputes.com

Andrew, thanks, as I said, there is a whole row of them across the street from my apartment. I think they are sort of Ontario's answer to the "Company Houses".

Hey Will,
I sent a package to your office today with reduced, N-scale copies of a dozen structure plans that I have. Post some pics when you get them all done. :D
Doc

Will_annand

Wow, Doc, a dozen and reduced.... :eek:
Thanks a lot my friend, :wave: I owe you big time. anything I can do to help you, just let me know. :cool:

hswn

I'm all for scratch building in N scale. I do it, among other things I've built a trestle that I'm quite happy with.
For N scale you might want to look for some Gloor Craft or Quality Craft kits (I think they are not on the market any more but you might find them at flee markets) I have a the Old style house as well as several rail cars. I have a N scale wood kit of a wood water tower by John Rendall scale Models. I also have a wood coaling tower that I'm not sure of the manufacture of the kit. American Model Builders, Inc. has a line of N scale laser kits that are nice.
Campbell Scale Models kits are nice, but not in N. However there are manufactures working in N scale the proplem is finding the kits. I'd like to see more quality wood kits simular to Campbell in N.
If you see a building you like, and can't find a suitable kit to model it get a tape measure and permision.
Brady

Will_annand

Doc, I just recieved your package and all I can say is "Wow, thanks!" If you check your mailbox next week, you should find a return "thank you" package.

Brady, I plan to have a large trestle bridge on my layout. it will be 6" high and 14-16" long. I don't know where I got it, but I have a PDF of "Black Bear Construction Co." plans.

Will,
You're welcome. Get busy and post some pics along the way. I just started the Cambell's Gazette building myself. Would be interesting to see how your scratch built compares.
Doc