Workable Stageing?

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Pitchwife, May 18, 2004.

1. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Is this a useable stageing yard or an I just drawing pretty pictures? :confused: :confused:

[​IMG]
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It depends on what you want to stage. If you want to stage complete trains to go out on the mainline, it won't work. If you are looking to stage cars in a yard to be made into a train, it might work. I think it would work better if the switch on the diagonal that is in the curve on the left was moved closer to the yard to make a run around track. Where do the red and blue tracks go? If what you have drawn is the whole layout, you have a lot of yard with no industries. If your layout is much bigger, this yard may be too small to be really useful.
  3. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi Russ
    It is only part of the planned layout. I am, at this time, working on the yard at the top of the page. It is a hidden yard that would represent towns on opposite branch lines interchanging with the mainline (red).

[​IMG]
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It will work if the direction of travel from staging to the main is always in the same direction. I don't think "facing point" sidings will work very well for staging. The other thing is that each "leg" of the staging yard is long enough to hold a complete train. If the yard legs won't hold an entire train, I think the staging yard will be cumbersome to operate.