Work Diorama

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Although I finished this a few weeks ago, it's been patiently waiting for my next turn with the familial digital camera. Course, the diorama also moved to a new office yesterday too (as did I). So I guess it's apt that these finally appear today.

diorama-aerial.jpg

diorama01.jpg

diorama02.jpg

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Thanks everybody. They pretty much let me do anything I want here in my office. I've got my own artwork up on the walls as well, cause the corporate stuff is JUNK.

The diorama measures 5" x 49"; in my move to a new office, turns out I could add another 10" if I so choose (bigger credenza behind me now). I'm gonna use it just to display newer units, but not my *best* units (i.e., nothing higher than an Athearn) - we've had a lot of thievery recently here at the college. A couple of my coworkers at least like to poke their heads in whenever I've got new units and take a look.

I'm going to leave it here at the office, it's fun to display different units, and the NorQuest Express loco of course (that's where I work, see below). I hadn't thought of a backdrop, but that would be an easy addition.

If I did add another 10", I'm not sure what it would be either - I've got plenty of space on the credenza, so maybe even a small industrial building, jutting outwards in the corner.

I've got the top of a file cabinet free too, so I might build another diorama for there with the Medusa Cement facility (this would only be temporary, as it will be moved to the layout once ready). I could put the two ROCK switchers there, they would look pretty kewl, and I'm working on my third two-bay ROCK covered hopper, all of which would look pretty kewl in front of the cement facility. This could be as large as 18" x 36", and just keep it firmly attached with some doublesided tape until it needs to go home.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Michael, looking good, I love the locoand colour sceme in the bottom pic.
Shamus

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
The Last Ten Inches...

How about a line of building flats? I suspect you could even print out some pictures of industries of some sort, glue them onto a slice of thin hardboard or something, thus creating an ersatz backdrop.:)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice work Michael!
I really like the weathering on those "road weary" switchers!
:cool: :cool: :cool:
A backdrop would help to kind of frame the scene, & it tends to make the modeling really stand out.

I've built several dioramas in wooden "shadow boxes"...
My wife loves them! :)
And a lot of people that come to the house like them...people who ordinarily have no interest in model railroading.

Attachments

• mvc-028f.jpg
    mvc-028f.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 111

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Likewise on the N gauge steam I just can't bring myself to cut up for kitbashed mine locos...
Great little project idea when you want to spend a few moments working on something a bit less daunting than the big layout...

Tom F