Woodland Scenics Water

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by sumpter250, Jan 12, 2003.

1. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

another

Attached Files:

2. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

another

Attached Files:

3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Dan,
    The "store layout" looks good! I thinned the third pour, and there is some fogging. Will wait to see how long it takes for that to go away.
  4. alex_mrrkb

alex_mrrkb Member

That's a great looking waterfal Dan !!!

Could you tell us a little bit about how you did it ?
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Neat waterfall! Nice everything else as well Dan. How about some more pics?
  6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Hadn't seen this post till now, nice work Pete. Dan, that club water scene is very impressive. I too would like info on the tecnique and materials used. I have a river scene to do shortly, I am in the process of making a test diorama of sorts, will try using 2 part epoxy above a small falls, and use cotton balls to add white water effect. Below the falls I plan to use gloss medium. will post a shot next week unless it sucks.
  7. sumpter250

Gary,
    Post it!!
    Even in failure there is education! Besides, I have this feeling it will turn out well.
    Pete
  8. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Waterfall

The waterfall was made from Woodland Scenics "Water-Effects" with some cotton balls added.

Dan
  9. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Cotton balls! Dang, I thought they would work. I had used them for some minor white water before, they look good in that waterfall. OK Pete, I'll post it regardless. should be at least ok.
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

OK Pete, Against my better judgement Here are a couple shots of my test pour. Actually better looking in photos than in person. However, I'm not looking for this type of falls, I want to mimic the look of water falling over a smooth concrete edge. Well, I'll just rip out the cotton there (might be easier said than done) and try again. It's just a test after all!

Attached Files:

11. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Here's a closeup.

Attached Files:

12. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

good looking white water. Needs a kayaker or two shooting down the falls:D :D
  13. sumpter250

OK, It's six days since the thinned pour, and the fogging has cleared. Now I have to study ( sit for long hours with a glass of scotch, and daydream) the stream to be sure I don't need to make one more pour.

Gary,
    The falls look good. I'm not sure how far a drop you have there, but water flowing over a smooth concrete edge will cause a back flow in the water at the lower level, and unless the drop is over four feet, won't cause much white water. Just a little where the falling water, and the backflow meet. there would be debris caught in the backflow, that would cycle at the base of the fall, along with any foam created by the falling water.
  14. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Pete, Very well described, thanks! I have removed the white water section and will be redoing it. Also set to start constuction of the trestle. Will post some shots as I go.
  15. sumpter250

Gary,
    Looking forward to seeing how you do. I was hoping others would post pics of what they had done with the WS water product, and so far my hopes have been realized. Thanks, and if any others are about to try this product, or recently have, lets see some pictures, and comments. I think there are others out there waiting to see some successes before they start.
    Pete
  16. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Gary,
    two questions:
    - Is the water in the pond above the fall also made with WS Water?
    - How did you create the ripples on the water. They sure look good!

Ron
  17. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Pete, Ron, Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone, the water above the falls is not a WS product, it is Envirotex, the two part epoxy. The ripples can be formed for a fairly short window of time, when the mix is nearly set up. For this pour, it was about 5 hours after pouring. Too soon, and the material just relevels itself. Too late and you'll either wind up with stiff unnatural crests due to the material not settling back some or the surface will be too hard to work. I use a pallete knife to dip into the surface and pull the material up. I found out years ago that this process causes quite a bit of suction on the riverbed bottom, as the material is lifted. This surface is just painted wood for my test and will be for the final application on the railroad. But years ago I poured the bottom from plaster, mixed thinner than normal so it would level. The plaster had been poured on plywood with some window screen tacked to it for something the plaster could hold onto. After painting the plaster and everything being set and dry, I poured the Envirotex, waited, and used the pallete knife to create ripples. Things were going well when all of a sudden, one of my strokes resulted in the plaster lifting off the screen. So, this is something to think about if you try this method.
  18. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow!

Dan and Gary - those falls are amazing - so realistic looking I can hear it!

Gary, you've probably thought of this by now, but here's a suggestion for doing ripples over a base that won't "suck" it up. Perhaps if you did one thin pour to seal everything, let dry, then do a second pour for the ripples.

Awesome work guys!

cheers
    :D Val