Woodland scenics rock molds!!! Wow!

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
Hello all,

While living in coastal SC,theres not much rock to make cast molds out of. So I went to the hobby shop Sunday {Bull St station,Savannah,GA} and purchased a rock mold. I should have bought all they had. These little jewels are priceless,can't wait to buy more.

I cast mine out of plaster and then washed them with a mix of indian ink and alcohol.After the weathering element was done, I then dust coated them with iron ore red.

This is my first time casting rock,even though the hard part was done for me {the mold} ,I'm very happy with the outcome.

Next weekend I start my out-door 12'X16' shed to house my layout.These rock molds will prove to be very useful.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
ive heard of the idea of using tinfoil for rocks,but how do you do that?do you put a coat of plaster on then stick crumpled foil on there or what?

Jeffs_Railroad

Dec 18, 2006
Connecticut
bigsteel said:
ive heard of the idea of using tinfoil for rocks,but how do you do that?do you put a coat of plaster on then stick crumpled foil on there or what?
There is aluminum foil that has one side non-stick coating is what i buy in any super market. First I roll wrinkle the aluminum foil up into a ball, then open it up, and do a little shaping on the aluminum to where it looks like what i like. With the non-stick (usually the dull side) side up I place hydrocal to within a 1/4" of the top then I either place it where I want them to be or let it dry and then place the rock. This all depends on the steepness of the landscape. I used plaster but found the plaster I was using when dry had a pink color that made it harder to get the color of the rocks in Connecticut. If you look click on the URL below, you can see to the right side of the passenger train the rocks I made from aluminum foil and had to place on the hill then sculture into the hill. There are other areas on the table I just placed the soft mold on the spot where I wanted it then when dry I carefully take off the aluminum. Just an aside, found with the aluminum I can make very small and big rocks, with a regular mold I had to have multiple molds. I also have Woodland Scenics molds but use them for big blouders.