wooden hopper car

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Model Railroading' started by nachoman, Feb 25, 2007.

1. nachoman

nachoman Guest

here is a wooden hopper car I just got together. It's made mostly out of illustration board and stripwood, based on plans in a very old model railroader. I have three more on the workbench that need completion. All that's left for this one is lettering and a little additional weathering.

kevin

Attached Files:

2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

You did an EXCELLENT job on this, Kevin. :)

Could you please post the drawings on here? I'd be interested in at least making one for my MOW train. (Make sure to cite your source! ;) )
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

well, I gotta dig up that old issue. It's a Jack Work orticle from about 1958...

kevin
  4. MilesWestern

Thank you VERY much if you can! How much time did it take you to build it?
  5. viperman

viperman Active Member

I'd be interested to see this too! The hopper looks great
  6. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I'd like to see that as well. An old Jack Work article is helping me with my sawmill construction.
  7. nachoman

nachoman Guest

it is october 1958 model railroader. I could scan the article, but I don't know if posting it here is okay because it is copyrighted material.

kevin
  8. Glen Haasdyk

I checked my MR collection, unfortunetly I don't have that issue. Actually I'd like to collect all the Jack Work articles but I don't even have a quarter of them.
  9. MilesWestern

I'd imagine it's legal if you cite your source COMPLETELY. Once your source is cited, you have proved that you didn't create the article, and that should be ok.
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I just happened to come into several boxes of magazines. I may have a couple copies of that issue. Would you be interested in that issue? As for copying and posting, that was nearly 50 years ago. How long do copyrights hold for magazine articles?

Greg Elems
  11. Glen Haasdyk

I was thinking the same thing. Any one know a good copywrite lawyer?
  12. joesho

joesho Member

yup,dont wanna take any chances :D:D:D:D:wave: :wave: btw exellent job on that hopper!
  13. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Great job.
    Nice to see some work still being done with illustr board.
    Did you detail the inside? If it's not too much trouble I'd like to see a photo of the inside too.
    Bill S
  14. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

International copyright used to last 50 years after the death of the author. However, U.S. copyright has different rules and gets extended every time Mickey Mouse's is about to expire.
  15. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

After rumaging through the pile out of the current box, I only found one issue. It was a four page article. I don't see any problem making copies for private use. So if you are interested in copies let me know at:
    gelems@sbcglobal.net
    Cheers,
    Greg Elems
  16. nachoman

nachoman Guest

OK, I'll take a photo of the inside. It is detailed. I will also show you one under construction.

kevin
  17. viperman

viperman Active Member

Greg, is this the same article on how to build the hopper pictured in post 1 in this thread? If so, I'll take a copy at viperownerathrt@aol.com
  18. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Here are photos that show the inside of the car, and another car under construction. Sorry for the quality of the first photo. My camera does not do so well trying to take photos that close up, I guess.

kevin

Attached Files:

19. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Kevin, sweet job. I like your pictures, much better than the ones in the magazine.

Greg Elems
  20. Glen Haasdyk

That is a great looking car, inside and out!
    With your first picture it looks like your flash reflected off the surface that you placed the models on.