Wood Sises Goindola (N Scale)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wood Sided Gondola (N Scale)

First, I'll show you what I started with...
It's one of those Bachman "Old Tyme" freight cars....

Attachments

• mvc-024f.jpg
    mvc-024f.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 166

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Then I made some "wooden" sides out of styrene, added MT archbar trucks, & couplers, & some heavy weathering...

Attachments

• mvc-029f.jpg
    mvc-029f.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 159

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Oops!!

Wood Sises Goindola!!!!???
What the hell was that?!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sorry, shoun't be on here at this un-godly hour!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Casey!
I think I am going to switch to a larger scale keyboard though! :D

Maybe Fisher-Price makes one that I could deal with! :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Charlie, That's really neat looking. :) I think B'Man made that same car in HO too. Looks like there may be another NG project in the making.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hey Charle, that looks great! I have some from MDC (HO) that came with plastic "wood" sides and I was wondering if I should try to make the plastic look like wood, or jsut make new ones out of wood. Wood sure does look like wood, at least to me :D but the plastic ones have grain and nails and would look good. Could you shed some light on how you made the plastic look so real?

I was thinking to just paint the plastic a tan color then paint nail heads and hardware black, then just ues a black wash. The plast semms nice and removable, too, I have a load of John Deere model B's to deliver to P-K impliments before spring!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks again!
Jon,
If you look at the last couple of posts in the "tips 'n tricks" thread, it'll give you an idea of how I rough up styrene to represent wood...
I agree with you though, nothing looks more like wood than wood, & if I was working in HO, I'd probably be more inclined to use real wood. But I've got lots of styrene on hand, & a lot of the scale lumber is too large to use in N scale.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Tyson!
That means a lot coming from you!

Y'know,
It's funny, but building that one car has got me toying with the idea for a whole new layout! :rolleyes: :eek: :D
Maybe more on that later...?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Jim & Pete,
Thanks for the kind words...
It means a lot, coming from the likes of you two! :)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie,
I have one of those B/mann flat cars. Been looking and looking at it for nigh on 5 yrs now wondering why I ever bought it!!!
You're superb model is now in my archives to remind me of how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! :D :D

Wanna swap a pair of MT archbar truck/couplers for a pair of bettendorf ones?? .. :)

That's a really nice model you've made there! It has real character.

Errol