with or without dock?

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Which do you like better? With the dock or without the dock? How would you use this building? What would you name it ? Thanks.

Attachments

• withbase.jpg
    withbase.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 179
  • withoutbase.jpg
    withoutbase.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 180

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I am bias..I think industrial buildings needs shipping and receiving docks.After all its always better to load or unload a trailer or boxcar when you are even with the floor of the trailer or freight car.You see most loads arrive on pallets so they can be unloaded/loaded with a forklift.Of course there are exceptions where a portable conveyor belt is used.Of course this method of unloading or loading takes extra man power instead of one employee on a forklift.
I would use the dock and as far as a name I would use T.A.Tellmans Transfer Company.

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
I like it with the dock. Makes unloading the semi look more realistic. I think the name should The Gauge Central Receiving with a Slogan "More Than Just Cargo"

At least the foundation, if not the platform itself. Most plants nowadays have the vans
back right up against bumpers on the building wall. Your building does have a little age to
it, so the dock platform is really not at all out of place. Many places have declined ramps
leading down to the dock doors, which lets the floor level of the building be at ground level
or slightly above, or take advantage of natural grade to let the back of the building have
more elevation above the ground for loading and unloading.

"Dew Point Chemicals"

"Paulivana Crackers"

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
You definitely need the bottoms of the truck beds to line up with the bottoms of the doors. Your first way with no basement is not realistic unless you have a ramp dug out of the ground to slope the back of the trailer down to the right height (as has been mentioned). Your first arrangement is only valid if the doorways are large enough to have the trailer back into the building.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Mark me down as a "With dock".

You may want to put a metal frame under the front of the dock. Or make it a solid concrete dock, right to the ground. Also I would add either a ramp to ground level or at least a ladder/stairs so the truck driver can get up to the receiving office.

of course new buildings don't use docks.

Naming depends on the era and what it does.

"_________ Holdings"
"_________ Freight Handlers"

With the blank being either the name of the town/city/region or the name of the founder. My suggestion would be to pick a relative or friend with a different last name to yourself and use that.

Attachments

• shipping doors.JPG
    shipping doors.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 152

webmaster

Feb 17, 2006
Surrey, UK
www.budgetwebsiteservices.co.uk
With.

I'm presuming there's also loading doors on the track side as well. If you go without a dock you'll have to move the building back in order that the forklift can have enough room to move the goods between the building and the rail cars. However that said, if you go without, it would give you scope to leave lots of pallets & such like outside the building ready for loading or unloading

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi CSX! :)

I wou8ld just say that regardless whether you keep the dock or not, keep the foundation...Not only does it put the doors at a better position, but it adds bulk to the structure...Brick buildings of that style would almost without exception, have a heavy foundation of stone or concrete...
If you do decide to lose the dock, you would need to add some bumpers as a couple of people have mentioned...these would be either heavy timber, of large blocks of rubber...You could make either from strips of styrene, or strip wood...

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,Actually all docks doesn't have a rubber bumper.That would depend on era but,even today you Will find older concrete docks that doesn't have any rubber bumpers or trailer bar( aka ICC bar) locks.

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Given the overall appearance of the building, adding the dock would add atmosphere. A little roof over the dock part might look nice as well, by the way.