Wish I had my camera.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
It was too cool. Twice this weekend I've seen some massive consists of trains ebing pulled along here in Toronto.

The first one was actually outside of the city in Pickering. I never did see the loco pulling this train but man it was huge! I caught the tailend of it. I never did see the motive power pulling the sucker. The cars literally went as far as the eye could see. It was awesome.

Today while going to a Raptor game at the ACC I saw two of these bad boys coming out of Union Station lashed up with a smaller loco and pulling a huge train of those 80' auto cars with Union Pacific logos on the side. They were CN locos though not CP.

ATH79868-450.jpg

There were also some tank cars and gondolas too. I could have sat there until the whole thing had gone through. It was awesome. I thought I heard and read somewhere that 6 axle were not allowed through the city. Guess that bit of info was wrong.

interurban

Shane, you never heard the phrase. "don`t leave home without it" that`s a camea to us Railfanners.

There is a lot of movement in Pickering C N on the base line and C P on the Cherrywood (to Havelock) line.
Where are you ? In Pickering?

I drove home by Bedell yesterday afternoon (Bedell is located just south of Kemptville, ON on CP's Winchester sub). Humming down the tracks were two SD40s pulling one honking big freight train of empties plus a few bulkhead flats loaded with lumber. I don't think CP has a passing siding long enough to take this train off the main line on either their Winchester or Belleville subs.

It seems that CP runs a bunch of empties on a regular basis on Sunday afternoons from Montreal to Toronto. One of the regular hauls are empty autoracks.

Quite the sight to see as the cars go roaring by.

Bob M.

Triplex

Today while going to a Raptor game at the ACC I saw two of these bad boys coming out of Union Station lashed up with a smaller loco and pulling a huge train of those 80' auto cars with Union Pacific logos on the side. They were CN locos though not CP.
That CP loco is an AC4400CW. CN doesn't have any; they don't want AC traction motors. What you saw was presumably a C44-9W.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
ATH79882-450.jpg

Yep you are right. Still new at this train spotting thing. They both have that similar back end which is what threw me off.

Pooh Bah
Bedell

Bob: I was familiar with Bedell up to the age of 8, when my father bought a car. :cry:We travelled from Perth to Ottawa and most of the time changed trains at Bedell (other times we changed at Smiths Falls). I once totally confounded the Santa in Toronto by asking for a train set with a Bedell -- trying to explain a crossing to him.
Did you see the latest Branchline on it?

The recent issue of Branchline had an article by Colin Churcher on the interlocking tower at Bedell. It included a number of photos of the diamond, the station, and the platform. I managed to rustle up this photo of Bedell in 1948 when it was a busy place. The freight train is on the Prescott sub heading to Prescott with the double-track Winchester sub going from left to right. Photo courtesy Canada Science & Technology Museum, Aubrey Mattingly Collection MATT-2179. All rights reserved. Photo not to be copied, printed, or used without permission.

Bob M.

Attachments

• MATT-3835.JPG
    MATT-3835.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 33