wise wig-craft

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by lizzienewell, Jan 21, 2006.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Doug,

Do you have pictures of your modifications? I'd love to see them.
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here are some pictures.

Three vertical stabilizers:
    [​IMG]

Paper clip and extra cardstock hook:
    [​IMG]

Above installed:
    [​IMG]
  3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I tried it out with a center fusalage rib. It flies straighter than the other although it seems to slide on the ground more, probably because of the increased weight.

I can't see how far it goes because I only have about 12 feet in my kitchen.

The next version will have reverse delta wings.

Attached Files:

4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Jalbert Parafoil

Hello All,

Interestingly enough the little WIG that you've built is similar to a Jalbert Parafoil first patented by Domina Jalbert in 1976 (Pat. # [FONT=century gothic, arial, helvetica]3,285,546, [/FONT][FONT=century gothic, arial, helvetica]Nov. 15, 1966[/FONT], Aerial Sled) and is the progenitor of all parafoil parachutes and kites around today. It was derived from an earlier kite with batten stiffeners called the Scott Sled, hence the sled name in the patent.

Although made from flexible material the structure becomes stiffened through the movement of air through it. A derivative kite, called a "Flowform", is essentially the same design as the little WIG craft. The following URL has further information:

http://www.kite.com/kite/kiteplns.htm

-Gil
  5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

You just need to open that door and letter rip. Then you can see how far it will go. :twisted: Good job on this.
  6. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Hi Gil,
    Not to distract from the wise wig-craft thread whichI've been following with interest I'm finding quite a few kite enthusiasts who also build paper/card models.
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Interestingly enough the little WIG that you've built is similar to a Jalbert Parafoil first patented by Domina Jalbert in 1976 (Pat. # [FONT=century gothic, arial, helvetica]3,285,546, [/FONT][FONT=century gothic, arial, helvetica]Nov. 15, 1966[/FONT], Aerial Sled) and is the progenitor of all parafoil parachutes and kites around today. It was derived from an earlier kite with batten stiffeners called the Scott Sled, hence the sled name in the patent.

This model came off the website of a math and physics department of a Japanese university. The site does call it a ram. Checking the site on the parafoils I see that the the parafoils are inflated by ram air. Probably the designer of this model was looking at Jalbert's Parafoils.

Oh I tried using the modeloutside but the snow it too rough. If we get a freezing rain or a few thaw-freeze cycles it should work. I'm considering taking it to an ice rink.
  8. hpept

hpept Member

Lizzie, i wonder how you'll stick the tape on ice to tie down the rubber band... :twisted:
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Glue the hook to a piece of paper that has a flat bottom. When preparing to launch at the ice rink moisten the flat side and press onto the ice. It will quickly freeze to the ice. Getting it off may be difficult so don't make the piece too large and bring a putty knife just in case. Guess this would be called "Ice Tape", as good as Duck Tape in really cold places.

-Gil

P.S. The art of kite making is an ancient paper modeling tradition...,
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Y'all look at some of her previous pics.............. she has made a launcher from a long stick(I'm gonna use a free yardstick) and a spring clothespin.

Guess it's a Naval craft cause she got a catapult! And Lizzie the shooter!

john