Wiring up a decoder

Amrap1

I have a Bachmann Chessie C&O 4127 HO loco that I want to wire for DCC. I can't find any info anywhere! It seems to be a very simple Loco, Just 2 wires from the front wheels and 2 from the back on a simple PC board with nothing but 2 lights that are always on.

Ed

I've got a spectrum dash8-40cw dcc ready, and inside the shell is nothing more than a pc board atop the motor, but with a 8 pin dcc connector, which is prob what you have if its recent. Prob looks like this
Be33-3.JPG

then you can put a decoder on to replace the plug
Be33-1.JPG

photos from © Copyright Train Control Systems 2005

fseva

Need a decoder!

Amrap1 said:
I have a Bachmann Chessie C&O 4127 HO loco that I want to wire for DCC. I can't find any info anywhere!
Ed
announce1You need to decide which decoder you want to install... Do you just want control & lights, or do you also want sound? Does your analog PCB include a DCC socket with a dummy plug installed? If so, you can use a decoder with a DCC plug - just pull out the dummy plug and insert the decoder's plug. If you don't have a DCC socket, you need a "wired" decoder (no plug) - this is slightly less expensive. Along with your decoder, you will get a manual that includes all the info you need to install the decoder, including directions on which colored wire gets connected to the wires already in your locomotive.

Russ Bellinis

If your loco isn't dcc ready, Loys Toys has a section of their web site with instructions on how to install dcc on various older locomotives www.loystoys.com I think Tony's Trains also has some helpful instructions on installing dcc in older predcc locomotives, but I don't have that site saved in my "favorites." I didn't see anything on their site about Bachmann locomotives other than some steam engines. What is a Bachmann C&O 4127? Is it steam or diesel?

Amrap1

It's diesel. There are only 4 wires....Black and white from front wheels/motor and the same on rear wheels. The PC board between has NO diodes/resistors. I want to believe that it would/should be the easiest loco to convert.

Ed

I managed to find a photo of that particular Bachmann loco Amrap1 said he had..

It looked like an old Bachmann U36B. If I remember right, those used the notorious pancake motor drive, and only 1 truck is powered. I wouldn't even attempt to convert that to DCC-- It would be a certifiable nightmare.

Attachments

• 89_1.JPG
    89_1.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 72

fseva

Amrap1 said:
It's diesel. There are only 4 wires....Black and white from front wheels/motor and the same on rear wheels. The PC board between has NO diodes/resistors. I want to believe that it would/should be the easiest loco to convert.
Yes, it should be easy! Must not even have lights...right?

All you need is a decoder with a decent instruction manual and you'll have everything you need. It'll tell you which color-coded wires should be hooked up to your black and white wires. Unless you're color-blind, it should be a piece of cake! :D