Wiring problem?

Zfein23

Jul 24, 2005
Loveland, Ohio
I'm new to model train building, and am working on my first layout. I have an oval of track layed out, with a few switches that just lead to dead end side tracks. I have a big problem, though.. my train will not run. I connect my power pack to the track using terminal rail connecters, attached to the end of one of the side tracks. When I place my locomotive at the end of the track, very near the terminal connecters, and turn up the power, the train nudges a few inches and dies. Again, this is my first try with a train set and I probably made a very newbie-esque mistake. Thanks in advance!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Welcome, you can count on getting the help you need here.

Just a bit more information. What scale are you working in? It doesn't matter, just that it's always nice to know. What is important though is are your loco and tracks new or old, and if old, how old? Sounds like you could either have dirty tracks, an old loco that needs to be cleaned and oiled, or both. You could have a short in your wiring, a bad connection or your power pack isn't putting out the voltage it should. Any or all of these things are a possibility.

Let's just start by finding out a bit more about what you're working with and we can go from there.

Zfein23

Jul 24, 2005
Loveland, Ohio
I'm using HO scale. Everything is new, all the track is atlas nickel-silver, the loco is out of a small life-like train set box, and (since I can't get it working) has never been used.

The power pack I am using I bought to replace the one that had come in the boxed set, because that set came with just a 18" radius circle of track, and I didn't think it'd be powerful enough to power all the track and accesories I plan for. It's an Atlas model 310, 17 VA output.

Since you mentioned it, having dirty tracks is probably the most likely cause. I probably got some senic cement overspray on the track in some places. Is there a way to get that off?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There are a few ways to clean tracks, probably the easiest is using a track eraser. You can find one at your local hobby or train shop.

The amount of track you have has no bearing on the size of your power pack, the number of locos you run and the accessories you use does. I don't know how many HO locos you can run at one time with that pack, but I'm sure someone here will know. You can always use that small pack to run accessories if you need the additional power.