Wiring help PLEASE

psocks

Okay I have a basic 4 x 8 setup and now I would like to add a yard off of the one side. I want it to run under its own power so I can run a switcher in there moving cars around whilst my other train is delivering on the 4 x 8. Now my question.
1) I will need to insulate both pieces of track correct (left side and right side)
2) DO the above so I can run each track set with its own transformer.
3) When this is accomplished can I still have my main loco cross over onto the freight yard side to drop off cars and how will that work

Thanks as always,
Pete :thumb:

CalFlash

If you plan to use 2 separate power packs, you will have to insulate both rails. The best way to cross over from one to the other is to have a short section between the main and yard and fed thru a DPDT. Run the train into the section, stop it and flip the switch, and you're under control of the 2nd pack.

psocks

So what you are saying is. Insulate BOTH rails. Have both my yard AND main section fed thru a DPDT switch. Run the loco into the first section of yard(which at this point is dead) than throw the DPDT activating the second section of track....correct.
Pete

CalFlash

Yes Make sure you insulate both rails on each end of the "neutral zone" (4 gaps). The center contacts of the DPDT go to the rails of that zone and the outer ones to the power packs.

psocks

Gotcah. The DPDT would tie in with the powerpack going to the yard thus feeding it power when thrown. Since they would both get juice from the same source the train woul pickup on the yard section and keep running like nothing happened. Right?

CalFlash

psocks said:
Gotcah. The DPDT would tie in with the powerpack going to the yard thus feeding it power when thrown. Since they would both get juice from the same source the train woul pickup on the yard section and keep running like nothing happened. Right?
And the same thing applies to the mainline powerpack wired to the other end of the DPDT. Note in this settup, you must stop the train in the "neutral" section and throw the switch to the other side. It does not have to be a center off switch but you can use one if preferred.

CalFlash

psocks said:
So you are telling me BOTH packs are run thru the DPDT
Yes! The packs to the outer posts and track to the center.
track1.jpg

psocks

Boy I want to thank you so much for the education! Now the 2 lines labeled track. Both of those lines go to the 2 rails of the freight yard correct. This will put the yard under the pwer of which ever pack is thrown. So when I am running the mainline train off of powerpack 1 I would have the yard flipped to powerpack 2 so that I can control the yard switcher while the main line train is running Right???? :D

Pooh Bah
I think what was suggested as the simple way was to have a section of track between the mainline and the yard that could be changed over. When you bring the main line train in, you need to put the yard engine somewhere -- a dead siding. You then can get away with just switching the yard over.
The next step is to apply the pack selector to all the sections of your layout -- at least 3 DPDT switches, maybe more. Then you can send the yard engine out to take the cars from the main line.

Lightbender

I have to agree with David, you have 2 power packs and 2 locomotives so there is no reason not to have proper 2 cab control. It will cost you a few switches and an evening with a soldering iron but you will be able to run 2 trains anywhere at the same time.

Dividing your layout into blocks isn't that hard. The usual method is to have a block for every set of points (turnout) that includes all the lead in track.

If you have a track plan I could suggest a block system for you.

Tony

CalFlash

psocks said:
Boy I want to thank you so much for the education! Now the 2 lines labeled track. Both of those lines go to the 2 rails of the freight yard correct. This will put the yard under the pwer of which ever pack is thrown. So when I am running the mainline train off of powerpack 1 I would have the yard flipped to powerpack 2 so that I can control the yard switcher while the main line train is running Right???? :D
NO! The yard gets wired to one pack and the mainline to the other. The wires from the DPDT go to a section INBETWEEN the yard and main. The other guys are right - this is a very simplistic approach and having regular blocks with DPDTs for each is better but this will get you by for awhile.