Wiring for DCC? Is this right?

SO basically I have two "bus" wires under my table, and every few feet i basically got two smaller wires (one for each bus) going to each rail through a hole in my roadbed and wood? How do I hide the hole anyway?
Does this sound right?

I also heard to NOT connect the buses when they reach the other end (not make a loop)
right?

Here we go this is what im looking for... Does the digitrax zephyr have extra AC terminals so I can hookup a switch tontrol box?

RailRon

Yes, you are right - two heavy bus wires under the layout and thinner feeder lines every few feet up through the roadbed to the tracks.

And no - DO NOT connect the the bus wires at any point, or you would cause a dead short on your system!

I don't know your track plan, but you have to check your layout for reverse loops. This would also cause a permanent short circuit. A loop calls for some special wiring and making some gaps at some strategical points - but I won't get into that here.

Hiding the hole? Just drill VERY TIGHT holes immediately beside the rails. They should be only A LITTLE wider that the wires themselves, so that the wire itself more or less plugs up the hole - a tight fit. Solder the wires as inconspicuous as possible to the rails. Then cover up the short visible part of the feeder wire with some ballast and/or dirt.

And your last question: No, as far as I know there are no additional AC terminals at the Zephyr (speaking of the booster/control unit). But then your transformer should have an AC outlet, probably at 12, 15 or 18 Volts AC.

Hope this helps.

Ron

YmeBP

My layout is in a concrete crawl space 4' high so there really isn't any room for under the table ;). I figured i can use scenery to hide my wires.

Here is a picture of my feeders connected to my bus wiring w/ suitcase connections. The bus is 14awg and the feeders are 18awg solid copper.
IMG_0063.JPG

I wrapped my wiring around the outside of my layout in a big loop and joined the black ends and the white ends together and then ran 18awg to the track output of my digitrax.
IMG_0064.JPG

So far so good. No issues and i can control the trains ;). I also isolated a small piece of track at the front of the layout for a programming track.

Pooh Bah
I think we have two interpretations on the "connect the buses" question.
Do not connect the white wire to the black wire.
You may connect the white wire to itself when you finish the loop (same for black) but you don't have to.
The feeder wires get a very small hole right below where they are soldered to the rail. A bit of track colour paint will make it belend in and then a bit of ballast.