Wiring DC layout for future DCC

kooter

Oct 23, 2007
I can only run DC for now was wondering how I should wire my layout for future DCC.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
It sort of depends, how are you planning to wire it for DC? How many cabs? What sort of wiring?

Jeff

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
kooter, concerning your use of DC, how many trains do you plan to run at the same time? Just one? Or more than one? This will affect the way you wire your layout for DC. Once we know this, we can give you some pointers for wiring.

kooter

Oct 23, 2007
Thanks Jeff and Gary I will try to post my track plan and a little more info. Should of done that in the first place.:eek:ops:

kooter

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
well,couldnt you just use the blocks for DC as short circuit blocks for DCC? just leave all the switches ON or take the block switches out and wire it all as one bit bus with circuit breakers in between for isolation if a problem occurs.im no electrician (dont ask me how i know that :mrgreen:) but i think DCC wiring is more straight forward than DC so it should be simpler.tell me if you dont understand this :p. its kinda hard to explain the things that pop into my mind...--josh

EDIT:also tis site may help with wiring your layout.itll give you an idea on how DCC is wired.its quite simple in reality. Wiring for DCC by Allan Gartner - Home (Index) Page

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
well,couldnt you just use the blocks for DC as short circuit blocks for DCC? just leave all the switches ON or take the block switches out and wire it all as one bit bus with circuit breakers in between for isolation if a problem occurs.im no electrician (dont ask me how i know that :mrgreen:) but i think DCC wiring is more straight forward than DC so it should be simpler.tell me if you dont understand this :p. its kinda hard to explain the things that pop into my mind...--josh

EDIT:also tis site may help with wiring your layout.itll give you an idea on how DCC is wired.its quite simple in reality. Wiring for DCC by Allan Gartner - Home (Index) Page

The general answer would be that yes, you'd just select one throttle for all blocks, hook the DCC to it, and away you go. But depending on what he's planning to do he can make things easier or harder on himself, I'd choose easier.

Jeff