Wiring Color Code

bentgen

Is there a convention for color coding wiring other than black/red for rail power? I'm aware that DCC wiring to a decoder is defined, but how about wiring to switch machines?

I've looked through the Atlas DCC & Wiring books but couldn't find an answer.

Pooh Bah
I don't think there is anything, even in the NMRA RP sheets.
I try to wire turnouts with black return and green and red for normal and reversed.
The great problem is finding a shop with a variety of colours.

bentgen

Thanks David.

N Scale Supply has a good selection of different colors in 3 different gauges. I'll probably go with orange, white, and yellow for switches to keep it distinct from the red and black for rail power.

ezdays

Out AZ way
AFAIK, there isn't any standard, so you set your own convention and just stick with it. I use multi-conductor alarm cable for both my rail blocking and turnouts so I'm limited to what they have in the cable. Two conductor is red and black, four conductor is red, black, green and white.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I use telephone cable. Kinda like Don's alarm cable. Green, red, black and yellow. makes for easier hook ups. But like Don says, use what works for you.

jim currie

like Ez and 88 said there is no set color code for model railroading wiring that i've ever seen but what you decide stick with one set of colors.