wiring a DCC turnout

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey yall,i have a bit of a problem.I'm going to be buying a DCC system for my future layout and have seen all sorts of links on wiring.well there is my problem.on Wiring for DCC by Allan Gartner - Home (Index) Page Alan shows how to wire a turnout but it takes an electrical engineer to understand him! so i was wondering if yall could show pics or diagrams on how you did for my average Joe brain to comprehend.thanks in advance for any help.--josh

Travellar

May 2, 2007
Wiring DCC isn't very much different from wiring DC. In fact, unless you require multiple boosters, it's the same. The only difference is you wind up with far less need for dead-track, and no need for multiple electrical track sections.

Edit: well, this is assuming I understood your question correctly. If I did, it's this wire to this rail, and that wire to the other rail.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Wiring DCC isn't very much different from wiring DC. In fact, unless you require multiple boosters, it's the same. The only difference is you wind up with far less need for dead-track, and no need for multiple electrical track sections.

Edit: well, this is assuming I understood your question correctly. If I did, it's this wire to this rail, and that wire to the other rail.
i dont think ill need boosters for a 10-10ft layout will i? im going to break it into blocks so that only a portion is shoted at a time.when i was looking at the wiring for dcc site it had stuff about isolating frogs and stuff.so how would i power route the frog to make slow speed operations possible by power routing the frog?--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
OK,i though this might help in my quest to wiring.im using peco C83 #4 and #6 turnouts.all of them will either be isolated by themselves or be the start or end of a block.ill post how ill wire turnouts.then ill have a few more Q's for yall.--josh

Travellar

May 2, 2007
I'm sorrey, I've never seen a switch layed out like that. Of course, all of mine are Atlas switches, which isolate right at the point of the orange section.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
oh,i layed this out like i saw a peco turnout on the net.so how do you like atlas turnouts? i heard they arent too good.but that may have been resolved by now.but,what about price,looks,workings,etc.thanks.--josh

ratjag

Jan 13, 2006
uk
big steel,
you should have a diagram leaflet with the peco turnouts showing you one way of altering for dcc.
If not look at Railways of Eastern Ontario - Welcome , scroll to dcc- then to track power - then follow next keys.
this should answer your question.
hope i've not committed any sins here, i'm still a forum ettiquette simpleton!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
thanks for the site ratjag.it showed the same peco turnout im using.although i still might use atlas if i can find somme newer ones for testing.if anyone else has some ideas,im open to suggestions.--josh

Travellar

May 2, 2007
That looks about like my switches, except your orange section is made of Plastic.

What scale are you working in? Maybe N-scale is built differently. For the most part, I don't even have to wire the switches seperately, I just have to have the adjoining track wired.