Wire Extensions

traintraveler

Mar 7, 2007
Calif
Hello,
I've noticed that Bachmann sells 10 foot wire extensions for switches and
power hookups for those 'long distance' items.
Does anyone know if they can be used for N gauge, all the descriptions
mention HO only.
Thanks.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
what size are they ? where did you see them? for switches it shouldnt make a differance but would be nice to see what your talking about
Roger

traintraveler

Mar 7, 2007
Calif
Roger,
The switch extensions (green wire) is Bachmann #44598 and the power extensions (red)
is Bachmann #44498. I don't have any photos but I see them at most railroad stores on
the Net when I key in Bachmann and the part #. They are 10 feet in length and seem
ideal for those far-away items. Seems that they would just plug into the wiring already
attached to your switch. Thanks.

traintraveler

Mar 7, 2007
Calif
Roger, I planning a N qauge 4x8 sized layout. I have about 6 left/right switches that are
going to be about 4-5 feet away from the switch controls. The track switches I have are
from Bachmann (EZ track) which only give me about 20 inches of switch wire. The
switches have those 3 prong connectors. I guess I could buy some bulk wiring and cut
and splice lengths of it to lengthen the overall wiring. Yes, the extension option does seem expensive. What do you suggest ? Thanks.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
It just seams like you could get some solder and heatshrink tubing and make it the exact length you want. What you will pay for the bachman wire would pay for all you need to make your own. But just my opinion.
Thanks Roger

traintraveler

Mar 7, 2007
Calif
Roger, Thanks for your help, I think I'll check that out instead.

Can you help me regarding track blocking ? That's the other thing I'm trying to figure out.
I'd like to isolate seperate track sections and use the controller switches to use them. How
do you do that ? When I used to have HO and Atlas it seemed easy. I'd use those plastic
rail joiners and wire each section. I don't see stuff to do that from Bachmann.
Do you have any suggestions, thanks.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
another thought , with dcc you dont have to extend those switch wire s because a stationary decoder would take care of your switching anyware you have a controller (like in your hand walking around the layout) Its just so slick.

traintraveler

Mar 7, 2007
Calif
Roger, I've heard a lot of people talking about DCC. The engines I've collected over time
where not DCC equipped. I assume that the loco must be DCC built ? If so, can you
convert them ?

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
yes you can convert older engines to dcc. Some are harder than others. I just got back into model trains a year or so ago, I have been collecting things over the years. I have converted a older engine over to dcc and it took about an hour and the cost of the dcc decoder that goes in the engime was about 22 dollars. My initial cost for my dcc command station (the brains and control) was about 230 dollars. dcc is worth looking into.
Thanks Roger