Winter sunbathing

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by interurban, Jan 21, 2003.

1. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi folks ,
    I had to worm my way around a lot of construction to get a shot of this baby:D

Taking in the winter sun;)

Attached Files:

2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Nice shot Chris. It was worth the effort.
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Where there is a will there is a way. Nice photo Chris
  4. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

5. interurban

interurban Active Member

TA

Hi TinGoat,.

Thanks for the info and the link.

:D :D
  6. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

You're Welcome

Whenever I see a train go by, I try to get the Unit numbers.

I then do a google search to see what comes up.

I like to know what it is that I am looking at.

The Canadian Pacific Railway Locomotive Roster and Photo Archives has been really helpful for me to learn the differences between different locomotives and their spotting features.

I see a lot of SD 40-2's, a few SD 90's and some AC 4400's on the CP tracks.

There's a few GP 9's that I keep meaning to photograph as well as the local yard goat.

CN tends to run a lot of GP 40-2's in my area.

Without the on-line rosters, I'd be lost. So I try to support them by supplying photos, and boosting them on forums like this.

I really get excited when I see something that I don't recognise. Or something rare, like a CP SD 40-2 snoot... :cool:
  7. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Another one I just had to bring forward. This pic was taken in November of 1984.
    I was on leave while in the navy near my hometown of Cranbrook B.C. and we were out scouting for deer.
    We saw the daily Nelson-Cranbrook through freight heading north along the Moyie river and were suprised to see the 61 car freight being pulled by GP9 #8701, SD40-2 #6018 and GP9 #8680 in that order.
    I had no camera with me, so I decided, since we were heading home anyway, to grab it at home and head to the Cranbrook yard and catch the train when it entered.
    By the time I arrived, the power had been cut off and was heading for the service tracks.
    It is unusual to see a four year old SD40-2 spliced between a brace of 27 year old Geeps and I can only imagine that whoever it was who put the power together in Nelson, He must have been pretty sore at whoever the crew of that train was :confused: .
    However, here is the shot.
    Cheers!

Terry

Attached Files:

8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

A nice bit of history captured here Terry. Pleased you went and got your camera. My son served as a "sparker" on the HMCS Yukon based at Esquimalt, then he went to Aldershot but left the navy after that.
  9. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Terry as Robin said great history , just what we need;)
    Makes the photo live more dont you think?:p
  10. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

I didn't realize just how many pictures I took between 1979 and 1995 and, in going through them I find that there is indeed a lot of history packed into them.
    I look forward to posting more, however, as my wife is the one scanning them for me, I have to be carefull, as I don't overload her with too many at once. :)
    Robin, although I was a Bosn, I did know many radiomen (sparkers) and, while I didn't serve on HMCS Yukon except for two month long training periods in 1978 and 1983, I did serve 9 years in the same squadron aboard HMCS Qu'Appelle from 1976 untill 1985.
    Cheers!

Terry