Winter Has Officially Arrived...

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Hey Folks!,

Just got back in from shovelling out my driveway for the third time in the last 24 hours.wall1 I've got 10 foot high drifts, with an average depth of 5 feet across my lawn. All this since last night, when there was just a light dusting of snow on the ground. Got finished doing it for the second time last night at around eleven, and got up this morning...looked out the windowjawdrop , and couldn't see my Dodge Caravan! Most city streets still haven't been ploughed here yet, and the kids are having their first Snow Day in years!balloon6 I'm in London, Ontario, Canada. What's it like where you folks are?

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
I left my little hometown (Paris) this morning to come to London (60 kms) and could not believe it !
We have a little dusting from Wednesday night but absolutely nothing like this. More coming tonight for my drive into work tomorrow morning but a high of 7C on Sunday.

Wacky Weather

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow -- I heard about that! In Toronto, we've only had a slight dusting of snow and even that has gone now. But it was real cold last night, dropping to about -12C. My kids (ages 3 and 6) are really upset that it hasn't "properly" snowed here yet! Rob

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Yeah, we haven't really had a good snowfall like this for awhile, for most of the kids around here, this is the first time they've had a Snow Day. If we get more, and it looks like we will, I'll be doin' the rounds and shovelling not just my driveway, but those of some of the other folks around here again as well. I try to get to the older folks places when I can, and those of people who happen to be away, or otherwise cannot do it for themselves. It gives me something to do since I'm home all day. Since my parents passed away, I've become the caregiver for my sister who is developmentally challenged, (she's 30, but only has the intellect of a six year old), so between my older brother who works, and my Veteran's Pension, plus what my sister gets from the government, we get along pretty well.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Right now it is a sickening 72 degrees with no percipitation in the forecast and 17% humidity. Our low for tonight is forecast to be 44 degrees. Sick... just sick. You can call me crazy but I'd trade with you in a second! I hate the heat, love the snow and live in Phoenix. Go figure. We are definitely not having a white Christmas. Up until a week ago, we were still wearing shorts and t-shirts. Sorry, bit of a chip there.

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
I feel for ya TrainNut. As inconvenient as all this snow gets sometimes, there just ain't no way I'm tradin' a White Christmas for anything! I've spent Christmas in many places around the world... some of them in the desert, and that just ain't right to a Canadian who's used to a solid four to five feet of snow on the ground on Christmas Eve. The only other places where I've really felt at home during Christmas were England and Scotland...hmmm...must be something in my blood, I guess, since that's where my family comes from originally.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Bone dry in the Twin Cites of MN with the real possibility of a brown Christmas according to the weather guys on TV! We've missed storms that hit to the north and south. Its been cold though lately with an overnight low of 0 degrees.

I'm ready though. My snowblower has been serviced and awaits in the garage!
Ralph

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Well, if washing your car is supposed to make it rain, maybe you should wash the snowblower and see what happens!sign1

I've lived in Wisconsin for 15 years. Now living in the South. I know Wisconsin has snow and is cold. I don't miss either! It's cold here in East Tennessee, 23 degrees! sign1 I know, I know.. it's not cold. Try tell the locals here that. sign1 I've asked them if they ever been in 85 below zero weather? They all said no. Oh yea.. when they even predict snow here. EVERYTHING shuts down and bread and milk are hoarded out the stores! sign1 sign1 sign1 "It's the end of the world as we know it. I feel fine!" Song by REM.

Andy

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Knighthawk said:
Well, if washing your car is supposed to make it rain, maybe you should wash the snowblower and see what happens!sign1

:D Actually I'm liking the idea that maybe having prepared my snowblower for Winter will be a talisman AGAINST it snowing! One can always dream! :rolleyes:

Ralph (who often wonders why he lives here!)

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Ralph said:
:D Actually I'm liking the idea that maybe having prepared my snowblower for Winter will be a talisman AGAINST it snowing! One can always dream! :rolleyes:

Ralph (who often wonders why he lives here!)

:D Let me know if you change your mind and would like some snow for Christmas...I'll see if I can get FedEx to overnight you a cooler full of it!sign1

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
We had a skiff a few days ago then it rained off and then it snowed again to-day but don't expect it to last.
We don't get anywhere near as much snow as we did when I was a kid, even a few years ogo when I was making snow at the ski hill there was more smow and colder temps.
Speaking of snowblowers I brought one home from the dump ,ran it fo three winters then traded it for four bales of insulation when I built my grage

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Gotta slight dusting this morning just before leaving for work.It was enough to get the roads slippery. Must be a lot of southerners visiting...Lots of fender benders and slides off the roads...either that....In nine months......people forgot how to drive in the snow.

N

nachoman

lows got down to upper 30s a week ago and I had to turn on the heat pump... It was actually cold enough my parents' solar hot water heater froze.

kevin

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Knighthawk said:
The only other places where I've really felt at home during Christmas were England and Scotland...hmmm...must be something in my blood, I guess, since that's where my family comes from originally.
I'm a MacDonald and near as we can tell, we are descendants of Flora from the Isle of Skye and yes, I'm embarrassed to admit we were part of the Glencoe massacre fiasco. I had the good fortune of studying over there during the summer in '94 and the homeland has been calling my heart ever since.