Winter attempt

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Here is my first attempt at creating a winter scene on part of my N layout. I would appreciate any suggestions to improve it.
Thanks!
(I am not sure if I uploaded correctly...)

Attachments

• Pond Junction in Winter 2.jpg
    Pond Junction in Winter 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 368
  • Pond Junction in Winter.jpg
    Pond Junction in Winter.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 366

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
It looks great!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now that you got your feet wet......let's see some more pics:D :D
Your layout looks awesome!!!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Brrr. Looks cold and about like the mountains behind our place here in Montana. Its time for the folks in your town to move to Arizona for the winter. Seriously its a great job. Congratulaations

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
More photos

Some of you asked for more photos, so here they are. I will post more in the Rocky Creek gallery.
I hope you like them!
Peter

Attachments

• Dangerous ice conditions.jpg
    Dangerous ice conditions.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 325
  • Snowline at Rocky Gorge.jpg
    Snowline at Rocky Gorge.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Coaling Station above Stony Creek.jpg
    Coaling Station above Stony Creek.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 332
  • Starting to Freeze.jpg
    Starting to Freeze.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 316
  • The hills are alive with poppies.jpg
    The hills are alive with poppies.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 314

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
I used plaster of Paris in a small sieve from the kitchen. By tapping the rim with a heavy screwdriver, the plaster dust falls, lands and accumulates just like real snow. I seal it with a mist of water from the airgun in those areas where the dust might interfere with operations. Before I start, I lightly mist everything from above to give it a good base.

Fun!

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
WOW, that’s fantatstic. Not just the snow, which looks incredibly good (even though an external winter scares me brrrrrr :D ). Can you show us more pics of your layout, the parts where you don’t freeze by looking at?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
ALL I CAN SAY IS FANTASTIC.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I love how you made the high mountains have snow and then no snow further down the mountain in that scence with those awsome looking bridges. :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D

Great job and be sure to enter the winter photo contest

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
I have switched from winter to summer several times over the years. All it takes is painting everything. Pine trees actually look better after "summerizing". Plastic structures are easy to clean. Ballast can be a problem...

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Superb artwork Peter.... I don't think the coal tower in front of the stone "monument" was accidental. You placed those pieces there to reinforce the idea of man-made structures mirroring nature.

If that isn't true... it otto be!

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Recent deadly accident

This was an unfortunate crash with two cars ending up in Rocky Creek.
Two drowned, one lady survived.

Investigation later revealed one of the the drivers was a railfan who was distracted by a beautifully restored steamer passing by on the parallel bridge...

Photos posted in the Gallery under Pond Junction & Rocky Creek RR

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Hey Peter, I noticed you live in Orange County, Me too, just on the far out skirts of it in RSM, CA. What LHS do you go to. Me, I go to Milepost 38 Trains in Yorba Linda, The Train Crossing in Costa Mesa, and Arnie's Trains in Westminister.