Wing Fillet Woes

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Getter1, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey guys,

I was building a MIG 13 last night and was making some really good progress till I got to the wing fillets (I'm still very new at paper models so I don't know all tha tricks yet) :(

I cut the slits as per the instructions and glued the front first. Then I pulled it back to the trailing edge and then things got real ugly real fast.

Does anybody have any suggestions here???

I don't mind a fatal mistake early, but the main structure was nearly finished!!! Now it's ruined and I have to start all over agian :?

John
  2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey guys,

I was building a MIG 13 last night and was making some really good progress till I got to the wing fillets (I'm still very new at paper models so I don't know all tha tricks yet) :(

I cut the slits as per the instructions and glued the front first. Then I pulled it back to the trailing edge and then things got real ugly real fast.

Does anybody have any suggestions here???

I don't mind a fatal mistake early, but the main structure was nearly finished!!! Now it's ruined and I have to start all over agian :?

John
  3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's where it got ugly!
  4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's where it got ugly!
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I've never built this particular model (or very many for that matter) But from the pictures it doesn't look like it's a total loss. If you're very careful an exacto knife might seperate the fillet from the wing and fuselage.

I might be totally off base here but it looks to me like the place you ran into trouble was the trailing edge of your wing. I think if you suck it up tighter to the underside of the fuselage that might solve your problem.
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I've never built this particular model (or very many for that matter) But from the pictures it doesn't look like it's a total loss. If you're very careful an exacto knife might seperate the fillet from the wing and fuselage.

I might be totally off base here but it looks to me like the place you ran into trouble was the trailing edge of your wing. I think if you suck it up tighter to the underside of the fuselage that might solve your problem.
  7. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Willja,

Actually the wing is in it's correct place. The fillet comes up high on the body. In fact it's quite a complex cure to manage compared to many planes.

I thought about trying to cut it off but there were a few minor mistakes I made on the way and the fillet was the last straw for me. I don't know I may try anyway.

John
  8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Willja,

Actually the wing is in it's correct place. The fillet comes up high on the body. In fact it's quite a complex cure to manage compared to many planes.

I thought about trying to cut it off but there were a few minor mistakes I made on the way and the fillet was the last straw for me. I don't know I may try anyway.

John
  9. barry

barry Active Member

try cutting another one out of thin paper and use it as an overlay, but start from the trailing edge. As it's an overlay you could cut it in half and do it in two sections.

barry
  10. barry

barry Active Member

try cutting another one out of thin paper and use it as an overlay, but start from the trailing edge. As it's an overlay you could cut it in half and do it in two sections.

barry
  11. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

My experience is with Fiddlers Green models. I print the fillet out on light weight paper, and use a knitting needle and a foam pad to pre shape it. I would roll it both by both it's length and it's width. I then dry fit it and then glue the trailing edge and let it dry and then draw the piece across and and glue the rest. i fine that it is often better in paper modeling in general to move slowly when glueing.
    Nice build actually. I made a similar opps and glued a second layer over and it was not a total loss. John
  12. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

My experience is with Fiddlers Green models. I print the fillet out on light weight paper, and use a knitting needle and a foam pad to pre shape it. I would roll it both by both it's length and it's width. I then dry fit it and then glue the trailing edge and let it dry and then draw the piece across and and glue the rest. i fine that it is often better in paper modeling in general to move slowly when glueing.
    Nice build actually. I made a similar opps and glued a second layer over and it was not a total loss. John
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try forming the fillets with a burnishing tool to give it the shape of the wing. Carefully make trial fits till the filet fits nearly perfectly without being glued into place. This may require trimming and/or sanding to get everything to true-up but its well worth the time.

Appears that you may have lucked out as the glue line of the present fillet is below the intersection line. Use a new blade and carefully trim away the old fillet. Tell us how it works out.

-Gil
  14. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try forming the fillets with a burnishing tool to give it the shape of the wing. Carefully make trial fits till the filet fits nearly perfectly without being glued into place. This may require trimming and/or sanding to get everything to true-up but its well worth the time.

Appears that you may have lucked out as the glue line of the present fillet is below the intersection line. Use a new blade and carefully trim away the old fillet. Tell us how it works out.

-Gil
  15. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Alright guys you convinced me to give it another shot and the surgery was sucessful :D
  16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Alright guys you convinced me to give it another shot and the surgery was sucessful :D
  17. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

She nearly became a rat chew toy :twisted:
  18. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

She nearly became a rat chew toy :twisted:
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Another front shot.
  20. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Another front shot.