Windows

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
For Shamus, Tyson, and other scratchbuilders

Do you generally build your windows for your structures or do you use commercial windows?

The Shamus structure below in particular is my current project and I just wondered what the experts do.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
David,
In HO I would use commercial and or scratch built windows.
In N gauge I simply draw the glass frames on acetate sheet and stick them inside the structure. I use a draughtman's pen to do this.

Errol

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
I do both, some I do on the computer on clear but my favorite way is to buy cheapo models with good looking windows and doors and throw them in my scratch supplies, (you can accumalate at lot of stuff like this, barrels, scrap,etc.) I also like to use different size windows, to me it gives a better look! :rolleyes: :D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi David!
That structure looks great!

I usually use scrapbox windows for all my scratch/bashed projects...however, sometimes, you just don't have the right thing...
I ran into this problem when I was building a flour mill for my N scale layout.
I dug around through the house & came up with a great little trick for representing N scale windows...
It's plastic mesh tape used for dry-wall joints.

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 251

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I just cut some pieces to fit, painted them, & then glued them to the inside of the structure with CA.
I then glued some clear styrene to them to represent the "glass".

Attachments

• tape2.jpg
    tape2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 261

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
That's a great suggestion Charlie about the dry wall mesh. I know you have posted the idea before but it is timely to do it again as it is a very good one. Most times I just use MS paint to draw windows and print them out and past them on.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Charlie,

Thanks for the comment on the structure. Actually that was a trial run to see if I "really " wanted to do S&B stuff. Shamus posted a plan for another gauger and I copied it on cardboard, cut it out, glued it together, and painted it. I liked it so much I did another piece to see what I could do for a packing plant industry. That is what you see. So now I am going to build that structure in wood and needed the window question taken care of.

I had never thought of the mesh tape. I have a roll of that in the basement. Excellent idea. The "Gauge" comes through again!!!:) :) :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi David,
I have nearly always used Grantline windows for my structures. For the structure you are building now from my plans, they are N-scale station windows from grantline. I don't like making windows even in HO scale as I need a telescope to see them.:D

Shamus
wink.gif

i buy, use parts from other kits and scatch build for the frames. For the glass i use the clear acetate that comes with some kits, i always safe it. AND if u have a large wall with many windows i use Saran Wrap. Stretch it out on the back side and it clings great. No more fooling around with each window, one shot and u do them all :D :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and recommendations. I guess I will have to try each of the recommendations to get the "David" way. I know that the commercial details would be a lot easier but might not be as much fun.

I will probably start a building project after the holidays. Will keep you posted.:) :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Jon, I have built some Pola N gauge buildings and found them acceptable but at times a bit over scale yet with a coat of paint they don't look too bad. I can't speak for the HO stuff though.
If the price is right, why not. They don't have to be foreground buildings