Windmills from my mind

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I live in Saskatchewan, the Land Of The Living Sky, as they say. Always wondered about the direction and strenght of the wind. So I made my first windmill for fun out of scraps lying around. I like the folk art look of the paint job. It use to be on top of a bird house at the top of a pole, but the bird house fell apart when it fell over in an extra strong wind. This one is 4 years old now.

Attachments

• first mill.jpg
    first mill.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 196

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Early this spring, something snapped! I saw the perfect place to put a windmill, so I made this one, out of scrap again. The balde is quite large, and it has a real bearing to boot. :thumb:

Attachments

• house mill.jpg
    house mill.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 201

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So now my wife thinks I'm compleatly nuts! After that big windmill on the house, I wanted to make one for on top of the garage. My wife put her foot down and said there was no way she would let me put it on that roof. But, I started to build one out of scraps lying around again. Took me over 6 weeks in my spare time, the odd second here and there, but I got it up and running. The wife shook her head :rolleyes: She said I could put it on the front lawn (bless her heart :) ) and so I did.

Attachments

• Big mill.jpg
    Big mill.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 194

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Yea, I know what yer thinkin'. It aint very prototipical, but hey, it was made compleatly from left over scraps. The bearing for this one are made from old lawn mower wheels I scrounged up someplace. Here is a close up of the thing just for your amusement.

Attachments

• Big mill workings.jpg
    Big mill workings.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 181

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
I don't know what it is that made me make these things. They were just fun to make, and continue to be fun to see what the wind is doing.

I guess that's entertainment here on the prairies. :D

TrainClown :wave:

One last one of the group of the little guys. It's interesting to see how the wind reacts as it blows around the buildings. And....yes....that is my neighbours house I snuck one up on. ;)

I need to build more. :eek: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• group of 3.jpg
    group of 3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 177

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Nice stuff TC.

I also built a windmill for our club layout.

abw.sized.jpg

Jon

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Now you've done it jon! Now I gotta have me one of those too ;)

Ray: I'm Scotch, you know. Part of the fun is, it's FREE! :) If I could figgure out how to biild one with a gennerator on it without it costing me $$, I would do it. But I am considdering making use of the mechanicle power to move something. :rolleyes:

Mikey: Okay, I'll find the plans I used and post 'em. :thumb:

TrainClown :wave:

F

Fred_M

I love it TC. If they ever get to squeeking you ain't gonna get any sleep though. Fred

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
One of the first kits I built when starting out was a wind mill from an etched brass kit (can't remember the maker). I think it came out amazingly well for my lack of experience. Supposedly an advanced kitbasher actually attached a tiny motor and chain assembly to get it to turn on his layout. I myself plan on a simpler approach by using a small aquarium pump and some clear tubing to blow air at it to make it turn.
Doc

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Here is one I made in N gauge to supply water to the stockyardon my M.A.T. layout
TC, do any of yours pump real water or generate electricity? Looks like you could provide enough power to run your home.

Attachments

• wm.jpg
    wm.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 66