Wind Generators, Rpm

RAY METIVIER

Jul 14, 2002
OHIO
home.woh.rr.com
I have been working on a motorized wind generator, and have gotten the RPM down to 58. Checked the web for info as to actual RPM, and only found min and max wind speed. If anyone has any info on this, please let me know.

Attachments

• picture 005.jpg
    picture 005.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 329

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Ray, I can't answer your question but I just wanted to say that this is one of the most unique model projects I've seen in a long while. Are you attempting to actually produce "scale" power with it? or is the generator part of an animated scene?

My only experience with generators is with diesel and gas powered units. Diesel and multi-cylinder gas generators run at 1800 RPMS to produce 240 VAC @ 60 cycles. Single cylinder gas powered units run at 3600 RPMS to produce the same. The wattage output is determined by the physical size and number of windings being driven within a magnetic field and the horsepower of the driving engine. Wind generators may have some type of gearing arrangement to step up the RPMS which could account for the huge size of the blades to produce the torque that would be required.

Just some quick math...3600RPMS X 1/87 = 42 RPMS or at 1800 RPMS = 21RPMS. So it seems to me that if your generator is just an animation you're pretty close to a scale speed in HO so if you could reduce that by say another 25% you would be close in N scale. IMHO I'd just run it at a speed that looked realistic to me.

Dang! All I wanted to do was compliment you on your project and got off into space!!!!:D :D :D I think its a great idea!:)

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
A dozen or so RPM's...

Wow! What a great idea. Very nice work too.

I would go with a much slower speed. More of a lazy breeze look, rather than being ready for takeoff. :D

Instead of directly motoring the windmill, I would have a small fan hidden somewhere else to blow the blades of the windmill. This would also make the windmill hub smaller and more prototypical.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Just some quick math...3600RPMS X 1/87 = 42 RPMS or at 1800 RPMS = 21RPMS.

Vic - I don't think you should scale RPMs - a revolution is a revolution no matter what the scale, as is a minute. Distance should be scaled, but it already is since the blade length is in scale.

Also, is there a direct drive from the vanes to the generator, or is it geared up/down by some ratio (in the prototype)?

At any rate, I agree with just running it at whatever looks right.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
BillK...Like I said...I got off into space!!!:D :D :D Must speak to the doctor again about these new meds!!!:D :D :D Those big wind generators don't turn real fast unlike the old farm type water pump windmill that had to manually "braked" to keep it from flying apart in a high wind. Agree that the RPMS shouldn't be scaled...just was trying to come up with a reasonable speed for Ray's model based on something in my "storehouse of useless knowledge" LOL......Oooooooops...Time for another pill:D :D :D

ceebeenq

Jan 29, 2002
Visit site
Ray.....I was watching some big wind turbines (like you're modeling....wow!) just a week ago.
Very big dogs they were........each blade about 50 feet long.

They can spin very "slowly" depending on windspeed but I'd say as low as 15 to 25 RPM would be accurate.

It can be relaxing and peaceful to watch and listen to the shoosh as they turn.

A lower rotational speed also gives the impression of a very big turbine as yours - in scale-- certainly are compared to your structures.

as noted above, a revolution is a revolution regardless of scale.
Good luck-- it's a neat idea.

CBnQ

RAY METIVIER

Jul 14, 2002
OHIO
home.woh.rr.com
CBnQ

Thanks for the info. I can't seem to be able to get the motors to run that slow without stalling.

I am using a ATLAS loco motor at 1-2 volts and can only get 58 to 60 rpm min.

If any of you electronic minded members have any ideas as to how I can slow these motors, Im all ears.:) :D