Willys Jeep from Modelik

Status
Not open for further replies.

lriera

Hello companions,

Kevin, thank you for your encouragement. Following the Willys I am thinking about some architectural "délicatesse", the Renova Model Studnia Kazimierska to take a break from the military vehicle saga. But after that, in my ToDo list, I have the Renova Model H.L. Hunley, the Orlik P-47 D-11 Thunderbolt and the GPM M4A3 Sherman. So... a lot of work.

Today another little advance with the Willys. The bumpers and stick the body to the main frame.

In photo 272 you can see the pieces that compose the bumpers, before trimming them. I have already stuck on card piece 26. In Photo 273 all the trimmed pieces with all the painted edges. All? A little piece does resist to being occupied by the Roman invader… ah, it seems to me that I am getting confused of history (do you know the French comic Asterix?). No, not all are painted, as always; I realized the forgetfulness when seeing this photo. Luck, because if no, another “small disaster” to the saga of the errors.

272. 273.

In Photo 274 all the stuck pieces to each other, ready to glue them to the frame.

And in Photos 275 and 276 I have already stuck the bumpers to the frame. Taking advantage of the occasion I also have stuck the hook of tow in the back of the frame.

275. 276.

Finally, in the series of photographies 277 to the 280, you can see that I have already stuck the body to the frame. Now it is that the Willys already seem a car. It is the moment that I hoped. Now I see the LIGHT at the end of the tunnel!

277. 278. 279. 280.

Thanks to all for your encouragements, they have really helped me to arrive up to here.

Greetings and, I hope, until soon.

Very nice.

I have a soft spot for the Willys Jeep as it was my flightline vehicle during a fair bit of my service in the Canadian Airforce. I had dragchutes stacked three deep on the hood, and in the back seat area as well as beside the drivers seat. Generally there was a Liquid Oxygen trailor hooked up to it as well.

Rick

lriera

Rick I agree with you. This is a very good vehicle, and a very good model.

I am enjoying very much this build, and more with all your support. :thumb:

Thank you everybody.

M

ml5716111

This beautiful jeep brings memories from over 45 years ago. It was my father's first car and we used to ride it many times, from the mid 1950's to the late 1950's.

Moshe

lriera

Hello companions,

Moshe, I am been charmed with of that my build brings to you agreeable souvenirs.

Now it seems that this build finally advances quicker. Because it seems that what I am doing now is to be filling the body and finishing components of the Willys.

First, today, it has been the turn of the fuel tank, for that reason in Photo 281 you can see, as always, the pieces before cutting them. But this time, I have forgotten to take the following photography with the cut pieces and some of the process of assembly of the top part of the fuel tank. So in Photo 282, surprise!, it appears the top part of the fuel tank already mounted and I begin to mount the bottom part. As always, first I stick one side and, when it is dry, the other, one behind another one.

281. 282.

Also I have skipped some passages of the bottom part of the fuel tank, and thus in Photo 283 I show you the two parts of the fuel tank already finished. I hope that you will pardon this lack of photographies.

In Photos 284 and 285 a view from down and another one from above of the two parts of the fuel tank already stuck in its place in the Willys.

284. 285.

The second part of the today tasks have been to mount the grill and the lateral protectors of the engine. In Photo 286 you can see the pieces that compose this part of the assembly and in the Photo 287 the pieces cut, with painted edges and ready to be mounted in the frame.

286. 287.

In Photos 288, 289 and 290 I show you how I have held the bottom frontal grill to the frame while stuck, by pressing it with small pliers, and then the top part with an improvised press with different tools. Finally, in Photo 290, the frontal grill already stuck in its place.

288. 289. 290.

In Photo 291 I am sticking to the frame the left frontal part of the protector of the engine. In Photo 292 I am sticking the right frontal part and the piece that go between this one and the body.

291. 292.

And finally in Photos 293 and 294 I show to you the aspect of the Willys until now with the works carried out. As you can verify the Willys every time is “fuller”.

293. 294.

Well, that is everything for today. I hope that soon I can show new advances to you.

Until then.

Greetings to all.

lriera

Hi folks,

This moves more and more fast.

Today it was the turn to the front mudguards of the Willys. The single problem that I have found is that there is one narrow strip of paper that borders and gives outer form at the mudguards and has been a little laborious to obtain that it stayed in his place, but at the end, and with a little patience, I have obtained it.

In Photo 295 you can see, as always, the pieces that compose the mudguards before cutting them. And in Photo 296 those same pieces already trimmed.

295. 296.

In Photo 297 the face and the back of the mudguards and the strip that outlines them are sticking. First I fold the pieces separately and later I stick one against another, this way they maintain its form far better. And in Photo 298 the folded part of this small strip of paper is sticking.

297. 298.

In Photo 299 I am sticking the bottom reinforcement of the mudguards and in Photo 300 you can see the global look of the Willys with the stuck mudguards. You are going to agree with me that it already seems a Jeep, right?

299. 300.

Well, for the present time nothing else, but soon I will return with new updates. Now the build is going at top speed, and I am happy. :thumb:

Greetings to all.

lriera

Hi buddies,

As far as the Willys… this moves… this advances without stopping.

Today it has touched the turn to the steering wheel, the pedals and the battery. In Photo 301, the pieces that compose the pedals and the steering wheel of the Willys. And in Photo 302 you can see mounted the pedals, the axis of the steering wheel and trimmed and painted the same steering wheel. The supports of the pedals are maintained by the very small end of the paper, but with a drop of glue, they do not mean any problem.

301. 302.

In Photos 303 and 304 two views of the finished steering wheel. Some companions of other Forums have used different materials. I use the paper, not by purism, but because I am learning to handle scales and textures, and I still do not dare with nothing else. Mainly after the poor result with the cables of the spark plugs (yes, yes I take them nailed in the heart, but I want to obtain satisfaction).

303. 304.

And in Photo 305 the pedals glued in its place in the body. I do not know why it serves the black button underneath the accelerator pedal, but the instructions indicate that this is its place… and there is. Also what I said before, the pedals are maintained by that very small end of paper, but just as before, a drop of glue… and it already is. They are self-sustained.

And now it is the hour of the battery and the other box close to him that I do not know what it is. In Photo 306 the pieces before being trimmed. And in Photo 307 the pieces once passed through the edge of the cutter, with the folds already done and the edges diligently painted.

306. 307.

In Photo 308 I have already stuck the two boxes. The paper goes edge against edge, without flaps, but given the size, with a few drops of glue, and holding them with my fingers while this one is dried, I obtain that they maintain his form. And in the Photo the 309 two finished boxes.

308. 309.

Photo 310 shows the first box stuck in its place. For the battery, its position is only indicated with a points line. As it seemed to me excessive to stick the battery only by the edge, I cut and stuck a card plaster of 0.5 mm, a little below the line of points, so that the battery stayed to its correct height. And in the Photo the 311 two boxes in its place.

310. 311.

That is everything for today, tomorrow more. Well, I do not know if tomorrow, but certainly in a moment.

Greetings to all.

lriera

Hello to all,

Bruce, thank you for your nice words, they are very helpful. Kevin, I use a Caran d'Ache green marker, Ref. 185-249. Grzechu, thank you, I am traying to do my best and learning a lot on the way. :thumb: Thank you all for your support.

And today new advances in the Willys Jeep. This time it has been the turn to the horn and the instrument board.

In Photo 312 you can see the pieces that compose the horn stuck on corresponding cardboards and in Photo 313, all the cut pieces, with the painted edges. But I had a problem with the horn. It is that tiny piece that you can see coiled at the end of a small stick. The problem is that it did not seem to me that it had left with the correct size, seeing threads of construction of other companions. So armed with Corel Draw, I drew a piece like the one of the horn, but I made it double size and after that, I print it, as you can see in Photo 314. The piece trimmed to the right is the original one, the one at the left is the one that I drew.

312. 313. 314.

And in Photo 315, you can see the horn already mounted. I like more my version than the tiny horn that had stayed if I had used the original one. In Photo 316 you can see the aspect of the horn in its place, in the Willys.

315. 316.

Next I have dedicated myself to the console of instruments. In Photo 317, as always, you can see the pieces before the cut, and, those that need it, already stuck to corresponding cardboards.

In Photo 318 all the pieces already cut and with the painted edges. And in Photo 319, all the pieces stuck in its place in the panel.

318. 319.

Lastly, in Photo 320, the instrument panel beaten in its place in the Jeep.

Good, so far already it is, but soon I will follow with more. And what follows they are the seats.

Greetings.

exzealot

Llouis,

Great job and it's coming along nicely. Was the horn designed too small, or was it just too small to build. I have this model and will build it some day.

Ken

lriera

Hello companions,

Ken, thank you for your encouragement, at this phase of the build it is very welcome. :thumb: About the horn, I think it was designed very small.

Today it has been the turn of the back seat. Indeed, as I have no idea of by where begin, I have thought that if it left bad, probably it was going to be less noticed the back seat, that one of the forwards. So, with many doubts, I have confronted this task.

I say doubts, because as it often happens to me, after sticking the pieces on cardboard, trimming them and painting the edges, still I do not have any idea of which is the work order. It is that the instructions in Pole are a torture, because you know that there is explained everything but you do not understand anything.

Well, then with these doubts, I confronted the construction of the back seat and naturally it went bad. Luckily it was nothing almost burdens, because the glue still was not dry, but almost... Now with the story.

In Photo 321 you can see, as always, the pieces before trimming them. And in Photo 322 the trimmed pieces. I have already stuck the cover of the base and the back of the seat as always, going step by step. For that reason I have begun sticking the back part. In Photo 323 I already have stuck all the cover of the base and the back of the seat and I am proceeding with the same form with the endorsement. And in Photo 324 already the base and the endorsement are stuck.

321. 322. 323. 324.

In Photo 325 I have joint the three pieces of paper that form the support of the endorsement and I am coming, step by step, to stick it around the base of the seat, beginning by the center. Serious mistake! Because in Photo 327 I realized that when the strip arrived at the center, the endorsement of the seat was twist, more rised of a side than of the other.

325. 326. 327.

So I took it off, luckily it don’t suffered “collateral damage”. And in Photo 328 it is seen how I returned to stick it, this time, beginning from the center.

Soon I fitted the endorsement, centering it in the superior part of the paper strip. The result was optimal, as you can see in Photo 329, with the finished seat.

Good, now to by the front seats that, I hope, will be to me easier thanks to the acquired experience today.

Until in a moment with more news of the Willys.

Greetings.

lriera

Hello companions,

And now, here I am with new advances on the Willys. Yes, yes, I know that I promised you it would be faster, but other obligations have prevented me to progress suitably with the Willys.

But go with it. In Photo 330 you can see the different pieces that compose one of the front seats. It gave me the impression that only two strips of paper were not going to hold well the seats, so I print the page in which they are these pieces, from the backup that I keep. From that copy I cut one third strip, is the one that is in the middle of the other two in the photography.

In Photo 331 I have already cut the strips that will form the frame of the seat and begin to stick the covers of the seat and the endorsement. As always, step by step, beginning from the back part. The base and the endorsement of the seats are constituted by three pieces stuck one on another one. In the photo you can see also that I have sandpapered the edges of the base and the endorsement.

In Photo 332 I show you how I stick the strips of 1 mm that form the frame and the support of the seat. I begin by an end and, as soon as the glue is dry, I am sticking another part not very long and thus, until sticking one strip to the other. With the third one I did it in the same form.

In Photo 333 you can see the three strips already stuck one to the other. Also I have finished sticking the covers of the seat and the endorsement and I have trimmed the back reinforcement of the endorsement. You observe that I stick the frame giving it a circular form. This is so that when I stick it to the endorsement, the strips already have taken the round form that will be to have once beaten to this one. As you can see in the Photo 334, in which I have stuck the frame to the superior part of the seat and I am doubling the frame by the edge of the endorsement. In Photo 335 I am sticking the laterals of the frame. And in Photos 336 and 337 I already have stuck the base and the seat is finished. With this one and the third seat, I did not have any problem. The pieces fitted to first.

333. 334. 335.

336. 337.

Finally in Photos 338, 339 and 340, I show to you three views of the same procedure with the other seat. To show you another vision of the previous procedure.

338. 339. 340.

Well, that is everything at the moment. Now I no longer promise nothing, because the next week I am going to have a lot of not hobby work. But I will try to advance in the Willys and to post fastest than I can.

Greetings to all and until soon.

lriera

Hello companions,

And now, here I am with another small advance in the Jeep.

This time it was the turn of the gas tank and to the windshield. I am going to enter in matter without more introductions. In Photo 341 you can see the different pieces that compose the tank already cut. And in Photo 342 I have stuck the inner wall of the deposit and the cover.

341. 342.

In Photo 343 you can see how I have stuck a flap, because by design one assumes that I had to stick the paper edge against edge. This seemed excessive to me so I improvised this flap and another one for the cover of the base of the tank. Photo 344 shows to you how I held the tank while the flap stuck.

343. 344.

In Photo 345 the tank is already closed and I show you the flap that I commented previously. And in 346 Photo the finished tank.

345. 346.

Finally in Photo 347 it appears the tank finished with the strip and the base that will hold it to the Willys and in Photo 348 the deposit with the strip and the support already stuck.

347. 348.

Later it was the turn to the windshield. In Photo 349 the pieces that compose it before cutting them and in Photo 350 all the pieces already cut and with the edges painted ready for its assembly.

349. 350.

In Photo 351 I have already stuck the front and back of the frame of the windshield and use a sheet of paper to maintain them separated while they stick. Over the frame you can see the acetate that will simulate the crystal already cut to its size.

And in Photo the 352 the finished windshield. The most difficult task has been to cut the windshield wipers, because like you can see they are two pieces that in the part of the rubber to clean do not have half a millimeter of width. In this case I did them without rule, by hand and very, very slowly.

Well, that is everything so far.

Greetings to all.

exzealot

I improvise flaps as well. Sometimes I even use pieces of wood. It gives you 2 good surfaces to glue against and is really solid.

The can looks good!

Ken

Fishcarver

Small Details make a Masterpiece!

Lluis:

Well done; great work as always! You lead us forward!
Su amigo canadense
Jim

lriera

Hello to all,

Ken your idea of the wood sticks is one I take note, I like it very much. Jim thank you for your nice words.

Today I have mounted the hood of the engine. Now the last difficult operation that I have left, is to fix the windshield to its place.

In Photo 353, you can see the two pieces that form the hood of the engine, either cut and in Photo 354 I have stuck the two pieces and I have curved the lateral ones. Before sticking the two pieces, I give form to them with a small stick separately and to rub them against the fingers, soon I put stick glue in a piece and the other, and later, before the glue is dried, I tighten them between the small stick and the fingers until they maintain the form. It seems not true, but the two pieces, once the glue has been dried, are very solid and the curved form is not lost.

353. 354.

In Photo 355 you can see how I am sticking the seven pieces that will form the hinges and in the 356 Photo the device that I improvised to stick the four hinges that go united to the hood. By design they have to be glued against the edge of the paper, that is that I saw and wishes me to obtain that they were glued well with so little faying surface, but in the end I obtained, it.

355. 356.

And in Photo 357 you can see the result; I took this photo while the three hinges that go fixed to the body were sticking. And in 358 Photo the opening of the hood allows to see the engine. As you can see, the hood is able to open and close; what a wonder! Mainly because it can be seen the amount of work that is there in the engine.

357. 358.

Good, that is everything at the moment.

Greetings to all and until soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.