Will the representative from France please step forward...

shaygetz

A Jouef model of a French CC 6 505 visiting the B&MC shops. Given as a thank you for services rendered, I thought it was pretty cool looking...in a Jetsons/Greyhound bus/Jimi Hendrix/Purple Haze kinda way. Any European members that can give me a heads up about this lokey I'd appreciate it. It came with a postal car and a baggage car as well and will be pulling some Italian railway coaches that I have for now.

Attachments

• french2.JPG
    french2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 27

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
interurban said:
Me thinks that fine Loco needs some wire above it :D
But,,,,,,,thats just what me thinks :D

:D :D Yeah Bob, Chris cant STAND to see pantographs not being used..... :D :D

zzzzaaaappp!!!! LOL​

shaygetz

interurban said:
Me thinks that fine Loco needs some wire above it :D
But,,,,,,,thats just what me thinks :D

Thanks guys. Even now, as I prepare for my upcoming (and final?) move, plans are being drawn up for a three track main (yes!) with catenary (home-made poles with Marklin "wire"). 'Til then, I'll do it the American way, "(sigh), It feels right and the Supreme Court says it's constitutional so it must be OK" ;)

RailRon

Bob, just to fill in some details and a pic:

The CC 6500 series (about 80 engines) were built for the SNCF (French national railways) in 1969-1975 and they are still going strong (although in a multitude of paint schemes). They run on 1500 Volts DC, and run up to 125 mph.
They are really something special with their inward slanted windscreens. That earned them the nickname 'broken nose locos'. :D

I snatched this pic from this website , where you can find a bunch of other photographs of this type.

Ron

Attachments

• SNCF-CC65.jpg
    SNCF-CC65.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 30

RailRon

Just in case you prefer American locos:

Alsthom (the manufacturer of the CC 6500) americanized one engine and organized 1977 trial runs with Amtrak. The X996, as she was numbered, got the nickname 'French Fry' and wasn't a success. There's an interesting article of the Amtrak Historical Society here .

The loco after her conversion - with American couplers (and lots of interior changes) - before shipping, still in France.

Ron

Attachments

• Amtrak X996a.jpg
    Amtrak X996a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25

shaygetz

RailRon said:
The CC 6500 series (about 80 engines) were built for the SNCF (French national railways) in 1969-1975 and they are still going strong (although in a multitude of paint schemes). They run on 1500 Volts DC, and run up to 125 mph.
They are really something special with their inward slanted windscreens. That earned them the nickname 'broken nose locos'. :D

Ron

That is just the bomb, Ron, thanks. An inspection of the drive revealed a loco that's just screamin' for a decoder. With that, I'm gonna paint this puppy in Amtrak colors and have them faintin' dead away at the club when she makes her debut. It'll be all the more sweet when I whip out the article and beat the rivet counters over the head with it :thumb: Woo hoo...I'm in Nirvana :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

shaygetz

Knew you'd like that, Chris. I figured the Marklin catenary looks good and, when coupled with homemade pole, will be easy enough to swallow the price. My plan calls for only about 40% of the layout to be scenicked, the remainder being an open frame, furniture grade display self. The overhead here will still function, just built with function and not form in mind, most likely 16 or 18 gauge wire on stylized brass rod poles.

I do have Amtrak plans for this beastie, but my beloved has deep sixed those plans for now as she has taken a liking to it as it sits. In the realm of model real estate, I does what is necessary to aquire said real estate in ever increasing quantities ;) :thumb:

shaygetz

CN1 said:
NICE!!! :thumb:

Those are fast locomotive

Where can I get one? :confused:

I see them being sold for $20 in TrainLand/TrainWorld ads in MR and RMC magazines from the mid 1980s.

A Winnebago, huh? Maybe one that chased the Grateful Dead tour... :thumb: