Will DCC loco run on DC layout?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I'm looking at buying the new Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0. I'm running on DC with no plans to go to DCC and little knowledge of DCC. From what I've read the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 is DCC. Will it run ok on DC?
Thanks,
Doc

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Not sure about that particular Bachmann loco, but I saw a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 at the hobby shop last week which was DCC equipped. The shop owner ran it on the DC part of the store layout (he knows that I'm a DC user), and it ran well. Not only that, but it was sound-equipped - not something that I've ever really wanted (after almost 40 years in a steel mill, I've had about enough sound :rolleyes: ), but the sound quality was very impressive: realistic steam engine chuffing, and a very solid-sounding bell and whistle effect, the latter two triggered, I think, by throttle position. I'm tempted to buy one, just to amuse the Grandkids.

Wayne

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I have one Bachmann Shay that is equipped with an early Soundtraxx series LC decoder. The box has warning labels that state " Do not operate on a DC system as serious damage will occur to the locomotive". You should find some warnings on your new 4-4-0 if this is still the case. As an afterthought, doesn't that 4-4-0 come either with or without DCC?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I would contact Bachmann with the question. Some dcc decoders will recognise that the layout is not equipped with dcc and default to dc, others will fry if exposed to straight dc. Bachmann should be able to tell you how their 4-4-0 will work on dc and also if there is a model available for dc only.