Will Ballast Hold?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Hey Folks

Well, I just a couple days away from testing my new 4X8 layout, Ill be sure to post pics of the occasion and let you all know my results.

Now, after I have tested the track and im confident everything will be smooth, I want to start ballasting. Hers my question.

I Am gluing this ballast down (Ive done some research) the the 50/50 white glue method to create my "Balast glue". I will be moving to Montana next year, when the layout may sadly have to be turned on its side to fit in the u-haul. I am already chompin at the bit since (for this reason) I will be unable to do serious scenery until it get a permanent home in a basement, but could I go ahead and ballast? Will it hold if I do it correctly? (Apart froma touch up here and there) Or is it more dependant on gravity?

As always, you folks are great.

Thanks
TJ

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
We have modules that are 10+ years old. They stay in a very tired retired U-Haul trailer all year 'round and get run all over creation on Floriduh and Alabama roads. With the eception of deep ballasting where the bonding didn't go all the way thru, it's held up quite well.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
It will hold as long as the glue penetrates into the ballast. Wet it thoroughly before hand with a wetting agent (a couple of drops of diswashing detergent in water) followed by your glue mix. The "wet" water will pull the glue in very nicely.

richhotrain

Nov 11, 2004
50/50 mix will hold quite well, especially if you use "wet water" first, as a previous post has suggested. My advice, though, is to use matte medium rather than white glue to cut down on noise and vibration.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
richhotrain said:
My advice, though, is to use matte medium rather than white glue to cut down on noise and vibration.

Interesting - what characteristic of matte medium allows the noise / vibration to be cut down?

richhotrain

Nov 11, 2004
White glue dries brittle, so it creates a drum like sound as engines pass over the ballast cemented into place with white glue. Matte medium dries to an ever so slight spongy finish so there is far less noise and vibration as the engine passes over the cemented ballast.