Wilhelmshaven's San Francisco

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Looking good Erick I have your trouble with the crazy stuff I spent half the day trying to make some railings with it but I always get too much glue on the parts some glued well others just did not.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent job, Erick! :D

Your wheel came out very well, my friend...glad the tip helped! :D

Applying CA is a bit tricky, but I found the best way is not to try and apply it right out of the bottle, it flows too freely. One tip I saw was to use an applicator, be it a toothpick, the end of a thin wire or if you want to get fancy, you can make a pretty good applicator out of a short dowel and a sewing needle. You take the end of the needle with the eye and snap off the end (please use safety glasses and a vise to hold the needle! :shock: ) You then insert the pointed end of the needle into the dowel; pre-drilling a small hole makes an easier job of it. You pick up a drop or two of the CA from the bottle or from a small bit you've put onto a small metal or plastic cap using the broken eye end; the slit in the end helps to hold a bit of CA onto the end of the needle. Even just a pin can be used to apply small drops to the model, just don't try to use too much at once and don't tip the end of the pin up or the drop will travel down to your fingers and you will be permanently affixed to the pin. :D

In applying the CA to the railings, Barry, I found it's easier to first apply a drop to each point where the threads cross to set things up a bit before applying the glue to the rest of the string. This glue sets up pretty fast when applied sparingly, so by the time you worked your way down to the other end of the railings, you can go back and do the threads and the joint should be fairly set. Overnight drying is probably a good idea to ensure it's all dry before cutting and trimming the railings. At least that seemed to work for me.

Hope this helps...sorry for the brief detour, Erick. :eek:ops:

Looking forward to more photos when you can, Erick. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hi!

Barry: that's life, not all the things works out for everybody, I saw your Bronco, nice build!! I saw the broncos fly over the city 13 years ago! nice sight ;)

Jim: It's no detour, it a modelling class!!! :D I'll try that soon, as you can see the updates are now coming slow as I'm on the small details right now I still have a looooong way to go, I'm sure the guns and the funels will take me a bit, usually that's the longest for me whenever I build a ship, and the tip for the CA glue will be very useful at this stage.

My next project will be an airplane, I just got a bunch and it will be a good experience to work curves on card.

Greetings,

Erick

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
There are gel forms of CA glue around - gets around all the superfluid
hassles of conventional liquid CA. The gel CA packaging often has it's own
applicator which gives really tiny droplets.

Regards,

Charlie

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello!

This update is full of little details compared with the previous one, the bridge is almost done, onle missing bits here and there. Also I'm posting pictures of the whole ship.

I've been touching up the model, this is the first time I'm hidding the white gaps left by the bindings and edges. Now with the pictures!

Erick.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Excellent job!! :D

And thanks for the many pictures really show the work you've done so very well. Those small bits have come out great, and testify to the time and care you obviously spent working on them.

Looking forward to more updates when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello Again,

Here I come with a new update, I have finished the first smokestack and have already begun the mid searchlight platform. If you see something bit messed up, that was the flu I cought lastweek my hands didn't seem to go where I wanted :roll:

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Greetings,

Erick

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Erick! :D

If that's how you build with the flu, maybe you should...nah, I won't suggest that, nothing is worth how you feel with the flu, is it?

Seriously, great job! I really enjoyed all the photos showing some very fine work and lots of details! Hope you are feeling better and looking forward to more updates of this excellent model.

Cheers!

Jim

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello Everybody,

Sorry for taking so long, here are a few pictures of "San Francisco", I have finished the second funnel and other middle structures. Now the model portrays the silhuette of the real ship.

Enough words, now with the pictures, hope you enjoy it...

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Erick, the ship looks great. I'm glad you are recovered, nothing bites more for guys like us in the forum than having "Edward Scissorshands", anyway great job.