Wilhelmshaven 1:200 scale USS Constitution

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Well, it's been a while since we last saw this old lady, but it's time to revisit this build with a new vigor. :wink:
I was able to get back into the swing of things after a long lay-up for the summer, and some distractions, and she's back on the top of the list in the shipyard.

The port side gun tackles were, well, "tackled" over the last few days and I came up with a new method for making the gun tackles. :roll: It's basically the method I used for Krakow's cargo rigging, and it seems to work out better than the prior methods. Basically, I used glue stiffened string as the core for the blocks and wound the tackle line around it using a jig. It's a rather simple jig, just a long piece of cardboard on which I scribed two lines to get the spacing between the blocks. The glue stiffened string is strung across the jig and secured on both ends using a combination of a slit through which the ends are snugged and a clip for good measure. This way, I could build a whole slew of gun tackles at once, and this really made the process move along quickly. I used a needle to get some daylight under the threads, which made weaving the gun tackle line and tying them off a lot easier.
Here is a picture of the jig:

The end result is a ladder like structure which contains all the gun tackles of this particular length.

These individual "rungs" are then carefully cut from the glue soaked thread leaving only a stub on each end which is the block.

I left the tails on the ends to make it easier to apply the "block" which is just a dab of brown paint on each end.

Then they were carefully trimmed to final form, leaving a fairly nice tackle.

All in all, the whole process of making eight sets of double short and long tackles (32 gun tackles in all for the eight carronades) took about four hours, including drying time (well, I had to watch my Philadelphia Eagles rout the 49er's, so there was some down time in the process)...a big improvement over the last method which was a tedious process of using small eyelets, rigging each tackle separately...and I don't think they look any worse. :lol:

I used the same procedure for installing the carronades and tackles as I did previously, and this is the result.

It took me all of just a few hours to put them all in, but I think by now it was just a matter of following the old routine so it went faster as I went along...I actually installed the carronades two and three at a time. Here's a close up view of the port side battery.

So, now she finally has her full complement of guns installed!

I don't know, I think this fills out the quarterdeck rather nicely.

One final view, just for the heck of it. :lol:

Now, it's on to the final additions to the quarterdeck, which includes the pin rails, horse tackles, gratings, helm and skylight...and some further fittings to be used when rigging the ship begins. It's still a long way to go, but at least she now has all of her teeth!

I hope to be able to work on her more steadily, as time permits, and I hope you'll all visit from time to time to see how she's fitting out.
Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Well, it's been a while since we last saw this old lady, but it's time to revisit this build with a new vigor. :wink:
I was able to get back into the swing of things after a long lay-up for the summer, and some distractions, and she's back on the top of the list in the shipyard.

The port side gun tackles were, well, "tackled" over the last few days and I came up with a new method for making the gun tackles. :roll: It's basically the method I used for Krakow's cargo rigging, and it seems to work out better than the prior methods. Basically, I used glue stiffened string as the core for the blocks and wound the tackle line around it using a jig. It's a rather simple jig, just a long piece of cardboard on which I scribed two lines to get the spacing between the blocks. The glue stiffened string is strung across the jig and secured on both ends using a combination of a slit through which the ends are snugged and a clip for good measure. This way, I could build a whole slew of gun tackles at once, and this really made the process move along quickly. I used a needle to get some daylight under the threads, which made weaving the gun tackle line and tying them off a lot easier.
Here is a picture of the jig:

The end result is a ladder like structure which contains all the gun tackles of this particular length.

These individual "rungs" are then carefully cut from the glue soaked thread leaving only a stub on each end which is the block.

I left the tails on the ends to make it easier to apply the "block" which is just a dab of brown paint on each end.

Then they were carefully trimmed to final form, leaving a fairly nice tackle.

All in all, the whole process of making eight sets of double short and long tackles (32 gun tackles in all for the eight carronades) took about four hours, including drying time (well, I had to watch my Philadelphia Eagles rout the 49er's, so there was some down time in the process)...a big improvement over the last method which was a tedious process of using small eyelets, rigging each tackle separately...and I don't think they look any worse. :lol:

I used the same procedure for installing the carronades and tackles as I did previously, and this is the result.

It took me all of just a few hours to put them all in, but I think by now it was just a matter of following the old routine so it went faster as I went along...I actually installed the carronades two and three at a time. Here's a close up view of the port side battery.

So, now she finally has her full complement of guns installed!

I don't know, I think this fills out the quarterdeck rather nicely.

One final view, just for the heck of it. :lol:

Now, it's on to the final additions to the quarterdeck, which includes the pin rails, horse tackles, gratings, helm and skylight...and some further fittings to be used when rigging the ship begins. It's still a long way to go, but at least she now has all of her teeth!

I hope to be able to work on her more steadily, as time permits, and I hope you'll all visit from time to time to see how she's fitting out.
Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers!

Jim

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Jim,

Glad you've found the time to work on the "Connie" again. I can almost here the drum roll for General Quarters as the ships complement prepares for battle.

Best regards, Gil

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Jim,

Glad you've found the time to work on the "Connie" again. I can almost here the drum roll for General Quarters as the ships complement prepares for battle.

Best regards, Gil

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks so much, Guys! :smile:
To tell you all the truth, I have been edgy about not having done anything on her over the summer, and it felt real good to get the carronades finally done.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day merrily working on the pin rails for the main and mizzen mast, which also involved making up a bunch of belaying pins from wire, and inserting them in the pinrails (there were about 56 pins all told). I also started figuring out how to make the gun station equipment, which amounts to a little holder that goes next to each gun on the spar deck and contains a tamper head and corkscrew-like device used to clean the bore after firing...I think I worked on about 15 of those before I had to call it a night. Hopefully I can do a bit more tonight, finish up the pinrails and maybe even get them installed on the model, but we'll see.

Thanks to all for visiting! :smile:
Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks so much, Guys! :smile:
To tell you all the truth, I have been edgy about not having done anything on her over the summer, and it felt real good to get the carronades finally done.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day merrily working on the pin rails for the main and mizzen mast, which also involved making up a bunch of belaying pins from wire, and inserting them in the pinrails (there were about 56 pins all told). I also started figuring out how to make the gun station equipment, which amounts to a little holder that goes next to each gun on the spar deck and contains a tamper head and corkscrew-like device used to clean the bore after firing...I think I worked on about 15 of those before I had to call it a night. Hopefully I can do a bit more tonight, finish up the pinrails and maybe even get them installed on the model, but we'll see.

Thanks to all for visiting! :smile:
Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wow, thanks, Peter!

I really appreciate your comments, since I have admired your work so much for years, in fact, ever since starting into this crazy world of paper modeling.

The updates have been very slow in coming over the summer, but I hope to post more often, as time permits. I hope you stop in from time to time and enjoy what you see and read. :smile:

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Well, so far so good...got to do a little more over the course of the week and again so far this weekend...life is good! :smile:

I started on the pin rails for the quarterdeck, and pretty much followed the same procedure as I did for the fore deck pin rails. It's a time consuming process, since you have to measure out the rails, the placement of the holes for the belaying pins and kerfs, cut out the belaying pins (oh too many to mention... :wink: ) and then assemble the whole lot. Painting them was a hairy, and I still seem to have a bit of warpage even when being careful, but all in all they came out okay.

Then I started on the gun equipment and their brackets. Okay, this really taxed by eyes a bit, so I had to do it over a period of time. I'm still working on the last twelve (there's one set for each gun on the spar deck), but I figured let me show how they are made up.

First, the corkscrews, which are used to clean out the barrel of debris before re-loading. They're essentially just small gauge nichrome wire wrapped around a small brass rod which is then prodded and trimmed to shape. Here's a photo of the process, hope it's clear.
assemblyofcannoncorkscrews6eu.jpg

Here's what they look like finished and before painting.
finishedcorkscrew4uz.jpg

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
continued....

I also made up the gun tampers, which go into the gun tool bracket. It was just a small wire to which I added a bit of paper strip at the top, rolled to give it the business end of the tamper. Here's a photo showing the sequence...again, I hope it's clear what went into the process.
assemblyofcannontampers7bz.jpg

And here's a picture of the finished tamper.
finishedtamper3ar.jpg

Here's an assembled gun bracket with the corkscrew and tamper...sorry about the image being a bit out of focus, but I hope you can make out the bracket anyway....
almostfinishedgungearbracketwi.jpg

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
continued....

I also built the gangway forward of where the capstan will go. I used nichrome wire again with some fly tying silk for the rails. It's a bit hairy working on this and getting the railing/silk to flow right, and it's not as clean as I wanted it to be but it came out okay. Maybe the next one, which goes aft of the capstan, will come out better. Then I added the lower bullseye for the Bentinch shrouds of the main mast, which I made up of rolled paper around a brass rod, which was then sliced off and a bit of nichrome wire wrapped about and finished off with a bit of paint...it's the black donut looking thing that is angling up from the waterways between the carronades.
Anyway, here's a picture of the quarterdeck so far, with the pin rails installed, most of the gun brackets on the port side done (two more to go on the aftermost guns) and the gangway done.
quarterdeckwithpinrailscomplet.jpg

And here's another view, a little closer in to show some of the things I was talking about.
anotherviewofquarterdecksofar5.jpg

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
continued....

Here are a few more views and some close-ups, which I hope you find clear enough to make out all of the mistakes and distorted parts. :grin:
viewofquarterdecksofarlookinga.jpg

quarterdeckviewfromaft8bl.jpg

(After figuring out the image posting problem, I figured I'd use the full photo link instead for ease of viewing...hope it works...)

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
continued...
closeupviewofquarterdecksofarl.jpg

closeupofgunstationswithtools1.jpg

Well, that's about it for today...I'm working on the remaining gun brackets with tools, which I hope to finish up over the remainder of the weekend. I have to mention how difficult this having to split up the images over several post are, particularly since they are links...maybe one of the adminstrators can explain why this is.
Anyway, hope you enjoy this update...guess I'll just have to watch the number of images for each post in the future and for the next update....
Thanks for stopping by! :smile:

Cheers!

Jim

(I also edited this post to show the full sized images...)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Connie

Jim

Just do not know how you do that sort of work mate it's getting a bit out of this world. My eyes are not good enough so much so I almost missed this latest bit.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Barry! Me ol' eyes aren't all that good either, and my hands have a nasty tendency to start shaking at the worst possible moment...guess I'd better cut back on the coffee.

Come on, Darwin, you do indeed make better mistakes than I, mine are just smaller.

Well, I was able to spend a bit more on Constitution last night and finished up a bunch of those gun brackets...only 5 more left to do. Meanwhile, I added something called a "horse block" on both port and starboard side. It's not shown in the Wilhemshaven kit but it's another one of those distinctive features that I figured needed to be added. It's used by the officers to look over the quarterdeck bulwarks, and is just a small ladder-like platform. I made up the platform part using a grating from the kit and added the rope ladder with three steps and the brackets that support the platform. Not much to look at, but it's on the real thing so I figured what the heck.

Anyway, here's a picture of the port side quarterdeck showing the horse block between the carronades, third and fourth from the left.

Here's a different view, just for the heck of it.
Boy, I hate close-ups, it looks so crude that close in, don't it?

And here's a picture of the real thing...obviously my creation is a far cry from the original, but hopefully you'll agree with me that it's close enough for this scale.

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers!
Jim
(BTW, I guess I used too many smilies on the first posting, which this forum counts as "images", so to post the photos I had to delete them...just thought I'd mention it because that error came up again on the first try, but after taking the smilies off it went through...half of those smilies don't work anyway, so guess I'll have to try and do without them....)