Wierd Question?

jcoop1

Hi, I was drawing up some yard designs today and thought about a typical ladder yard, but at the other end have it go into a turntable. The turntable would serve a roundhouse for engine storage, but would also be able to serve each end of the yard.

Has anyone seen this? I don't imagine it would be prototypical, but thought it might be interesting.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The turntable end of the yard could serve as the escape track for the engine, but of course would not be available to help with switching cars.

Andrew

jcoop1

Yes, that was my thought exactly. I was thinking that a engine could go head in to the yard and then disconnect and escape. I want a roundhouse and turntable and I thought that this would be a good way to get more use from it.

John

jetrock

It is of course theoretically do-able, but there would be problems caused by such a setup: any engine using the yard would probably impede traffic going into and out of the roundhouse. The inability to switch cars from that end would be a serious problem in the yard--you'd need a couple of well-placed escape tracks to be able to switch properly.

So sure, you could do it, but I don't think the prototype would. If you care about such things, it might give you pause. If not, have fun--lots of folks are into doing fun things with turntables and sector plates and transfer tables and what have you.

jcoop1

Thanks for the reply.

I do plan on having a seperate entrance/exit for exclusive turntable use. My plan is to have the Turntable/roundhouse add to the flexibility of the yard not take away from it. I know that it may not be prototypical and I am not to worried about that. Yet I don't want to make it so unreal either.

Thanks