Why we see so many coal trains

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
"SUVs actually do rollover. A lot. Many people get killed by those things. Not to mention they suck up way too many gallons of fossil fuels."

why is it everyone lumps all SUV's in togeather as gas hogs?

some of them get better gas milage then the cars that these same nut jobs thinks we all should be driving.

alot of SUV's come with 4-bangers ya know!

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
ozzy said:
"SUVs actually do rollover. A lot. Many people get killed by those things. Not to mention they suck up way too many gallons of fossil fuels."

why is it everyone lumps all SUV's in togeather as gas hogs?

some of them get better gas milage then the cars that these same nut jobs thinks we all should be driving.

alot of SUV's come with 4-bangers ya know!
And not all the sixes are gas hogs. My wife's V6 4WD Ford Escape gets better than 20 MPG on the highway, actual, not EPA.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
we hace an 2006 ford focus that gets 25 MPG., i have an 1984 s-10 that gets 12 mpg. most of the newer small block suv's gets 20.

Torpedo said:
And not all the sixes are gas hogs. My wife's V6 4WD Ford Escape gets better than 20 MPG on the highway, actual, not EPA.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
RANT MODE:i really dont care about what people say about the enviornment , no matter what people say IT'S NATURAL there is no way that humans being one of the most short lived species has caused this much damage and by th time we fry will all be dirt! :D so theres so much goin around about "beleive me,no beleive me,no he's wrong." i just ignore it,im comfortable and pefectly content and i love drivin in one of my 3 muscle cars that get about 10 mpg and waist more oil by BURNIN RUBBER!!!: RANT MODE OFF.

so back to TRAINS which is what this forum is here for,i've seen steam running in a modern coal mine sice it is more cost efficent to have 1 2-6-6-2 than 4 geeps or something.so coal will always be a part of our life cause its everywhere i heard we have about 90 % of all the coal still out there so all we need to do is make it efficent and control pollutents and were set!.--josh

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
an blazer is no heavier then an s-10. and a v-8 can easily get 50 mpg or better. there just "not aloud" in the US.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
NYNH&H said:
ozzy:

Torpedo:

Huh? 20mpg IS a gas hog.
NYNH&H, a big part of getting your point across is a sense of proportion. It also helps not to alienate those who might be in your corner. The worst thing you can do is to come across as a take no prisoners, burn-'em-at-the-stake-if-they-disagree-with-you-in-any-way radical. When you come across as standing with the people who spike the trees, I'll be standing with the guys with the chainsaws and the skidders.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
[FONT=&quot]Disgusting is when my LHS doesn't have any new PRR rolling stock on the shelves. Though I would never call him a disgusting dealer.

Appalling is when I find that the PRR diesel has been replaced with the NYC diesel but I would never call my daughters attitude appalling since she has the right to like NYC better than PRR.

Ignorant is not a word that is in my vocabulary and doubt that I would ever use it. I certainly would never call my daughter ignorant because she has a different opinion on what rail line to run on the layout. But I sometimes make a fool out of myself when I try to run my PS2 locomotive in TMCC settings. Yes I forget to do the extra steps and it just sits there making me look foolish.

I think a diesel would have problems leading or getting to its point if it keep derailing the consist. At least I know it would spill all the coal if it did that.

[/FONT]

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
OK then. What I'm seeing is some increasingly heated words and self described rants about a debate that seems to have run its course, some good advice about avoiding alienating people that might even be supporters, and a humorous redirection back to railroading topics. While I support the opportunity to talk about things in the General Talk forum that aren't always completely related to trains, I anticipate that continued debate about global warming in this thread is likely to deteriorate into a flame war and will lead to a swift lock of the thread. If there are any more thoughts about coal trains as referred to in the original thread post I welcome them. Otherwise we may be closing this one soon.
Ralph

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Renovo PPR said:
I found a cool link that explains the different type of loaders for coal car. If your modeling a coal train I think you will enjoy this link. Don't forget to check the other links on the site.

http://www.appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/abcsofcoalloads.html

That is one of the best sites for Appalachian railroad modeling and is loaded with great information..
There is several sites that focus on the locations of local coal fields..As a example I will share this link.
http://www.coalcampusa.com/eastoh/eastoh.htm

As we can see that is a great modeling aid while designing a layout base on coal haulage.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Thank you Ralph. I first opened this thread because I was interested in the subject, although as a modeler of Southern California railroad operations the only coal trains we see out here are loads of coke for export. Years ago there would have been loads of coke for the Kaiser Steel mill in Fontana. I then watched the thread degenerate completely off the original topic and when I looked last night it had gotten even worse. I decided then not to bother with this thread again hoping it would just go away. I only opened it today because I saw that brakie had added something to the discussion and figured that a post from him would be back on topic. Topics on railroad operations are interesting. If someone feels the need to hijack a thread to go in a different direction, please restrain yourself and start a new thread.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
I have a couple of questions and comments.

1. Why only the first 3 on Google? Why not read all 79,400,000 hits on global warming (I didn't read all but I sure looked at more than 3)? Maybe because some I checked disagree with the first 3? And you only want to present the first 3? I think one should read both sides, then somewhere in the middle you will get close to the truth.

2. From the National Highway Safety Council and DOT....you are 10 times more likely to die or receive serious injury being the driver or passenger in a small car involved in an accident as you are in a large car or SUV.

3. I have talked to several owners of "green hybrid cars" who tell me they are getting nothing near the EPA stated mileage. These people are driving about 75% of the time on the highway due to the area that they live in. This leads me to believe that with my car getting better than EPA ratings and theirs worse that the EPA fudged the mileage to try to get people to buy what the EPA wants them to buy. And if the EPA is lying there then anything they put out comes under suspicion.

4. NYNH&H, there you go with the names again. Sorry guy but when you get like that I stop believing anything you say. Most people will, it's a natural defense mode of the mind.

5. NYNH&H why are we having this argument anyway? You are not going to change your position and with your attitude no one who doesn't agree with you now will ever come around to your point of view.

Rick

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I suppose there are bad sides to global warming, but possibly some good can come from it?

global warming = more ladies in bikini tops:thumb:

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,Can we PLEASE get back to coal trains instead of this useless bickering?
With apologies to the forums moderator Ralph I am within a angry mule's kick of locking this topic!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
My apologies! :eek:ops: You won't hear another peep out of me. Brakie, haven't seen you online for the past few days, good to see you.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
That was another cool link Brakie. Right now I am trying to complete the main layout which is 100% farm / country theme. However I have some room to expand and this will be a coal theme since in my part of the country they go together in real life. Thus I became interested in coal consists.

I'm not sure but I think I might incorporate a strip mine or maybe just a loading station. I don't think I ever saw a strip mine modeled that often so I think I might do that one.

If anyone has any photo's or videos of mines that would be cool. even though i'm inot O gauge it would hurt to see them in HO or N. :)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I almost forget what is the most common rail car used to move coal? I know there are two basic types used for transporting coal, gondolas and hoppers. I must admit at first I didn’t know the difference but I do now.

Does anyone know a good source for aluminum cars in O gauge? I think those look cool and I want to try to keep this consist more modern.

[FONT=&quot]I know tons of questions but I’m sure you all can provide the answers. It is like I’m going a hundred mile an hour as I start to plan the expansion even though I’m not done with the first part of my layout.[/FONT]

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i am sorry about my topic,i just love burnin rubber! :D.

but i think that there should be no more of the global warming topic,lets save it for a global warming site.thanks.

anyway,on my layout which is HO, 90% of my cars are coal hoppers since my RR is C&O which was there prime commodity and is still a big part of CSX.but if you just google coal mines it will show THOUSANDS of photo's of them and if i can find them ill get some pic's of an abandoned mine with a virginian hopper under it.-

bathtub gondola's i beleive are the most used coal transporters now but im not sure.and i've seen HO models but not O yet.--josh