Why the Gauge went down.

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
So a little knowleage is dangeres then why not tell the userof this site we need to close it to do some work on it i for 1 would rather you done that than than play russian roullette with it glad i foundsomwhere elseto play nice people good forum and it works.mike

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The software system for my first computer became ineffective when I lost one of my toes. (had to reprogram in base nineteen)-----

Paul,
This is exactly why I didn't jump right in and start playing with all the moderator's "tools". I know just enough to cause more damage than good.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Pete my friend, I need you to play around with it and see if it's safe for me again LOL :D :thumb: :wave:

Shamus

Lemur

Jul 15, 2002
Yorkville, Illinois
Visit site
I had to take a step back from all things railroad for a month or so to take care of much more pressing matters. Come back only to find cryptic error messages. My mind quickly raced to the conclusion that it all moved with out me. (Similar to a friend of mine returning home from college only to find his parents moved.) Then I thought I would never hear about the adventures of ‘The Box.’ Noooooooo. :cry:

Eventually I calmed down and noticed different error messages. Ah! The system must just be down for maintenance. That is not a problem. After all, I killed the forum I administer at work 3 times since march :curse: , so I had an idea of what the sys admins were probably going through.

Good Job getting things back up and running. :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Why me said:
So a little knowleage is dangeres then why not tell the userof this site we need to close it to do some work on it i for 1 would rather you done that than than play russian roullette with it glad i foundsomwhere elseto play nice people good forum and it works.mike

Sorry, whyme, the operation being performed was not intended to cause any downtime at all. I'm glad you came back.

(Similar to a friend of mine returning home from college only to find his parents moved.)

EEEEeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww, that's bad, really bad. A really bad sign for your friend. Hmmmmm. You might consider moving and not telling him where as well LOL j/k :D :D :D

That reminds me of the South Park where they poked the kids eye out playing ninja, so they shaved a dog, glued the hair to him and took him to the vet, so they wouldn't get in trouble.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
jon-monon said:
Somehow, the system allows this empty folder to become the top level folder, with all other folders and data inside it, yet it just appears as an empty folder, and it's in a strange place. You believe the folder is empty, you realize it is just as eazy to recreate it elsewhere and moving it around doesn't seem to be working anyway, so you delete it. There are no warnings. Then everything is gone, and there is no recycle bin, and there is no undelete.

When that happened to me there were warnings, several of them! :eek:ops: :eek:ops: and I still deleated the whole works. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Live and learn. :p :p

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Not to worry Shamus! You were trying to do a good thing. Besides, your explanation actually makes me feel better. We didn't crash because of some problems that might re-occur! :)
Weeeeeeee're back!!!!!! :thumb:
Ralph

C

Catt

I didn't miss the place one bit.

My computer on the otherhand was doing automatic checks every 30 seconds to see if you were back online.Ever see a computer suffering withdrawal?It's not a pretty site.

If you believe that first statement I have some swampland in Arizona to sell you complete with it's own bridge.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Vic,
Does this mean now we are back up and running that your modelling is going to suffer now. :D Hope now. :thumb:

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
shamus said:
Hi Vic,
Does this mean now we are back up and running that your modelling is going to suffer now. :D Hope now. :thumb:

Shamus

Nope!! :eek: :) :D Actually, I finally started my first ON30 project...A Climax out of a Bachmann flat car and an MDC boxcab mechanism :) Pics will follow soon under the Narrow Gauge section :)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
:p :D :p :D

Been there! Done that, Shamus!

Don't feel so bad.

I've been working on upgrading my department's website. Part of that involves making changes to the databases that display data on the site. On two separate occasions I've found myself working happily away on a database only to realize that I've been working on the LIVE copy! Fortunately, both times I've been able to quickly recover from my...uh...goof. It happens to the best of us.

I did miss The Gauge, though. I was at home sick earlier this week with nothing to do and no one to talk to...not even online! :cry: