Why The Big Cost Difference in Decoders

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
I am gettng ready to drop my 1st decoder in a loco. It is a N Scale Life Like SW1200. The Digitrak Decoder suggested are the DZ123 or DZ143 at $15 and $27 Respectfully. What is the difference between the two besides Amps?

More concerned, the Lenz decoder suggested for the same loco is $44.00.

Why is Lenz so much more in cost than Digitrak? That is a dramatic difference is cost.

Any insight would be very helpful. Also, has anyone installed a decode in the Life Like SW1200? Thanks in advance.

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
I have tried both Digitrax and Lenz in HO. If you are looking for good slow speed control Lenz Gold or Silver is the way to go--their BEMF is awesome and far superior to Digitrax. I would think that in N scale this would be most important. They have a micro version for N.

Of course cost is an issue, especially if you have many locos--I have only a few on a small shelf switching layout--so cost is not a major issue.

Bill

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
HPRL said:
I am gettng ready to drop my 1st decoder in a loco. It is a N Scale Life Like SW1200. The Digitrak Decoder suggested are the DZ123 or DZ143 at $15 and $27 Respectfully. What is the difference between the two besides Amps?

More concerned, the Lenz decoder suggested for the same loco is $44.00.

Why is Lenz so much more in cost than Digitrak? That is a dramatic difference is cost.

Any insight would be very helpful. Also, has anyone installed a decode in the Life Like SW1200? Thanks in advance.

LENZ=Germany. Nuff said.

Although I have a LENZ DCC rig, I don't use their recievers. Well, I don't use anyone's right now, I'm still putting the system together. I 'm planning on using soundtraxx recievers( I model HO, so I can't tell you anything about N scale DCC), which are more expensive than non sound recievers.

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
Well, that make sense to me. I will start looking at some Lenz decoders. Thanks for your insight.:wave:

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
zedob said:
LENZ=Germany. Nuff said.

What he said. I've got a buddy who imports live steam and other stuff (Sterling Engines, miniture internal combustion engines and the like) from Germany and I find that while across the board, quality is high, so is price. Some of that I'm sure is the cost of manufacture, but importers like him are also fighting a unfavorable exchange rate.

Fluesheet

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Need to remember, also, that the cost of these things is coming down quite rapidly, as more are sold, and technology improves, and they get a return on their intial development investment etc, and one manaufacture will reduce their price, followed by the others sooner............................ or later. Price differentials may also be a result of this as well.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sometimes it still is true that "you get what you pay for" in model railroading. Many of the more expensive items (and the more critical items like decoders), price is an indication of quality.

Andrew

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
DavidTrains: Did you put the Lenz Mini Gold in the SW1200 and save the use of the front headlight?

Thanks for all the input on this....:wave:

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
:eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: Steve - my bad!!! I didn't catch the error. I have NOT done the conversion yet. That is why I asked for the tutorial. I meant to say "I have to put one in my SW1200." :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
Ahhh. OK. I will do my best to transform my SW1200 from DC to DCC in a descriptive & pictorial type "How To". Please don't hold your breath because some projects take me awhile to complete. I also need to purchase the decoder.