Why laminate when you can transfer

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bernhard L, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Bernhard L

Bernhard L New Member

Hi Guys

Forgive me if i am wrong in my thinking on this topic. But i have been thinking about the process of laminating frames to card stock and how messy this process can be, not to mention the amount of times I have ended up with a very nicely warped sheet. I once read in a magazine about transfering ink to balsa which ended up looking like those old balsa kits we used to buy for a few bucks when we were kids.
    The process uses transparencies with the design freshly printed and then laid onto the material to be used. without moving the tranparency rub over with a soft cloth and the ink will trasfer to the card stock. Unfortunaly this process does not work with the coloured parts but great for those blank frames.
    This is a no mess, no wait method and the transparency can be cleaned with a bit of window cleaner and reused.

have fun
  2. Bernhard L

Bernhard L New Member

Hi Guys

Forgive me if i am wrong in my thinking on this topic. But i have been thinking about the process of laminating frames to card stock and how messy this process can be, not to mention the amount of times I have ended up with a very nicely warped sheet. I once read in a magazine about transfering ink to balsa which ended up looking like those old balsa kits we used to buy for a few bucks when we were kids.
    The process uses transparencies with the design freshly printed and then laid onto the material to be used. without moving the tranparency rub over with a soft cloth and the ink will trasfer to the card stock. Unfortunaly this process does not work with the coloured parts but great for those blank frames.
    This is a no mess, no wait method and the transparency can be cleaned with a bit of window cleaner and reused.

have fun
  3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I believe that it worksbest with Photocopies, very dark ones with extra toner and an well set Iron...I did see my older brother make ribs for his control line kits in this manner a few times....But I am not sure if it would work for us...Photocopiers have a built in distortion from my experience and...well I think that our stuff has evolved into a super precise hobby that this distortion woudl be terminal'
    John John
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I believe that it worksbest with Photocopies, very dark ones with extra toner and an well set Iron...I did see my older brother make ribs for his control line kits in this manner a few times....But I am not sure if it would work for us...Photocopiers have a built in distortion from my experience and...well I think that our stuff has evolved into a super precise hobby that this distortion woudl be terminal'
    John John
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Bernhard,

Nice idea...,

The transfer technique comes from model airplane builders. Print out a mirror image in black on a laser printer. Cutout for placement on the cardboard. The trick used by the modelers was to wipe acetone on the sheet balsa just prior to ironing the laser print side down onto the balsa. The acetone losens the toner and allows it to be bonded to the balsa wood or in our case to the cardboard. I haven't tried this with cardboard but have with balsa. It works well in that application and should work well with cardboard.

Gil
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Bernhard,

Nice idea...,

The transfer technique comes from model airplane builders. Print out a mirror image in black on a laser printer. Cutout for placement on the cardboard. The trick used by the modelers was to wipe acetone on the sheet balsa just prior to ironing the laser print side down onto the balsa. The acetone losens the toner and allows it to be bonded to the balsa wood or in our case to the cardboard. I haven't tried this with cardboard but have with balsa. It works well in that application and should work well with cardboard.

Gil
  7. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Generaly I've found that when printing frames of ship or plane models on 65# card stock and laminating them to chip board and then laminating a blank sheet of 65# on the other side I wind up with an extremely flat and clean surface that makes construction much easier. But the secret is the glue used for lamination. Spray adhesive is the best wat to go. Its fast clean and there is zero warping. When using PVA it would be nessecary to use large amounts of weight to get things flat. Remember there is no right way only what works for you.
  8. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Generaly I've found that when printing frames of ship or plane models on 65# card stock and laminating them to chip board and then laminating a blank sheet of 65# on the other side I wind up with an extremely flat and clean surface that makes construction much easier. But the secret is the glue used for lamination. Spray adhesive is the best wat to go. Its fast clean and there is zero warping. When using PVA it would be nessecary to use large amounts of weight to get things flat. Remember there is no right way only what works for you.
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Bernhard,

I reread your original post again..., no excueses for me I finally got what you meant even though it was written as clear as day! The fact that printing on an overhead foil leaves wet ink has been made into a direct transfer benefit! And they are reuseable. It's not only a nice tip it's a great tip!

Gil
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Bernhard,

I reread your original post again..., no excueses for me I finally got what you meant even though it was written as clear as day! The fact that printing on an overhead foil leaves wet ink has been made into a direct transfer benefit! And they are reuseable. It's not only a nice tip it's a great tip!

Gil
  11. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

3M transfer/mounting film works really well for laminating. Very little mess and no warping.

PB
  12. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

3M transfer/mounting film works really well for laminating. Very little mess and no warping.

PB
  13. Bernhard L

Bernhard L New Member

Hi Guys

Well here i was about to make another posting to explain the process in point form, but it appears that this is no longer needed

Gil ease up on the flattery, i might get a big head. :wink:

Now i am just waiting for my GPM Zuikaku to arrive from lighthouse model art. If anyone has some tips for this model please let me know.

See ya all later
  14. Bernhard L

Bernhard L New Member

Hi Guys

Well here i was about to make another posting to explain the process in point form, but it appears that this is no longer needed

Gil ease up on the flattery, i might get a big head. :wink:

Now i am just waiting for my GPM Zuikaku to arrive from lighthouse model art. If anyone has some tips for this model please let me know.

See ya all later