Why I love E-Bay for this Hobby

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
unfortunately breaking this weight down will be hard as it is a long steel cylinder inside the boiler than runs from just in front of the cab mounted motor to the headlight just behind the front cap.

It is about 1/2 inch diameter and probably 4 or 5 inches long and solid steel.

It runs and tracks well through 18 inch ciurves as it is right now it just looks goofy with only two of the 4 sets of drivers turning and only one set of push rods on it.

I will see about taking some picks of it up close to show what parts I need, who knows maybe someone here on the gauge has some lying in a parts box someehre I could get from them if all else fails.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sounds like something else needs adjusting. Warping that rod even a mm or two would take a pretty good pounding. I'd look closer at the bearing plate, even the axle bearings themselves for a bend or unusual wear, and that only after the rods are in. I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything out here.

petey

May 17, 2004
Chessie,
You say you contacted the shop for parts. What did you find concerning the cost of parts? I have many old steamers that I have acquired parts for, mostly Mantuas, but a Rivarossi source is always good to have.

I have yet to try these large flanged models on my Code 83 layout.

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
petey said:
Chessie,
You say you contacted the shop for parts. What did you find concerning the cost of parts? I have many old steamers that I have acquired parts for, mostly Mantuas, but a Rivarossi source is always good to have.

I have yet to try these large flanged models on my Code 83 layout.

Unfortunately they haven't replyed to my email as of yet. Hopefully they will soon.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
pdt said:
Niceville High School, Class of 1991 here! My dad and stepmom still live there. They keep begging me to come visit, but 12 hours in the car with my two girls... forget about it!

Well, now you have something to visit when you're down here, you know, "Grandma, Pop-pop...couldja watch the kids fer a little bit...gotta go to Shalimar fer some...uh...some....power steerin' fluid. Yeah, that's it...power steerin' fluid...back in a couple hours?"

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I will see about taking some picks of it up close to show what parts I need, who knows maybe someone here on the gauge has some lying in a parts box someehre I could get from them if all else fails.

you might want to consider yourself lucky.
I've picked up a lot of older Rivarossi stuff, mostly the 0-8-0's with tender drive, for some planned "projects" I had. I've since focused on logging, and most of these older projects have fallen by the way-side.

I should have one or two of the older 0-8-0's, with full runing gear, that I can part with.
PM me if interested.

And for any who are curious, I tried running an older mallet on code 83. It will BARELY clear the tie-plates on the flex track, but does have a tendancy to hit the frogs on the turnouts. I'd almost suggest either running code 100, or filing the flanges down slightly.

And thanks for the Cab-Forward rebuild info. I've got one of these in "almost" great condition. I might want to get it running better so I can put it along with my kit-bashed 2-8-8-8-8

Michael

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Dragon said:
And thanks for the Cab-Forward rebuild info. I've got one of these in "almost" great condition. I might want to get it running better so I can put it along with my kit-bashed 2-8-8-8-8

Michael

You're welcome, I've always had a place in my heart for Rivarossi. They were state of the art for their day, "poor boy's brass". The flanges are the reason I stick with C100 rail, Pennsy in the 1950s used rail that would scale out to that so I lose little sleep over it. Here's a parting shot of it with its newly installed super bright LED headlamp, from this past Tuesday, rolling thru McCue City on the club layout.

Please post a pic of that kitbash.

Attachments

• 4882profile (4).jpg
    4882profile (4).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 96

petey

May 17, 2004
Gosh, I spent four years in the panhandle, in the '60s. Ft WB, Niceville. Destin, lived in Shalimar, Crestview, etc. Air conditioning method in Niceville was a block of ice, in a tub, with a fan behind it.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
petey said:
Air conditioning method in Niceville was a block of ice, in a tub, with a fan behind it.

Seems like it still is done that way in our clubhouse :rolleyes: . Right now we've got tourist mices running amok, eating the Sculptimold scenery and leaving little deposits on the right of way. The building we're in easily dates back to then, it used to be an auto body shop, about a half mile from the bridge on the right.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
The future Dragon Mountain triplex...

TriplexMallet.jpg

Michael

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
If I remeber right, Pennsy Did do a lot of experimentation with multiple driver beds.

Other then the Metal mites, there really is no reason manoy of the older locomotives won't run forever. especially those with metal running gear and metal drives. You want to make a metal drive quiet, you add oil, and it keeps going. Plastic, as long as it contains carbon, will alwasy have an unstble halflife to it! As an element, carbon bonds to...just about Everything!!!

The old stuff with the new silent motors makes for awesome power. Details...well, pull out the Presision Scale Parts!

I will probablky be filing down some of my drivers in time...with a lathe or such, but you have to be careful on Rivarossi, as the flange is backed by plastic if you go too low.

I recently bouhgt a 0-8-0 off ebay for 5.00 bucks, I was laughing all the way because ehre in my collection, minus the coail/oil bunker piece, is a perfectly fine Tender, factory numbered as the exact tender that rides behind one of these...and it runs...I had to build a smokebox door, but that was easy too. I had one in my chop box...

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
shaygetz said:
Seems like it still is done that way in our clubhouse :rolleyes: . Right now we've got tourist mices running amok, eating the Sculptimold scenery and leaving little deposits on the right of way. The building we're in easily dates back to then, it used to be an auto body shop, about a half mile from the bridge on the right.

Well at least the mice are being polite and giving you back the sculptimold in a different form. :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
rockislandnut said:
Thank you. I wish my layout was a little larger so I could run a "Cab Forward" like yours. It sure looks great. :thumb:

Wish I could say the layout was mine, I run it on our club layout. 36" min. radius, approx 1000' of mainline, a 4 track, 6 level helix from one level to the next with over 400' of track in it alone, 100+ turnouts, 2 double ended 8 track yards over 20' long...sigh :rolleyes: ...I do wish I could say it was mine ;)