Why do you build card models

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCStephens

Sep 18, 2007
York, PA
I like using paper as a medium for model building because unlike plastic where most of the work is already done for you, there is a real sence of accomplishment when finishing a build.

It's all Altered Carbon

So, in summary:
The naturally nano-engineered carbon fiber models have better graphics, don't require painting, have more immediate variety, store better, are easier to modify/rescale or build from scratch, are usually cheaper (or free), can still challenge you to build detail or realism, lead you to improve your software skills (design, modify, or just repaint), allow "re-dos" by reprinting a page, and are completely recylable.

Nothing against the cross-linked, hydrogenated, and molded carbon variety - but card is closer to woodworking and building rather than just asembly.

Yogi

Cyana

Jun 16, 2006
I usually spoil my models when it comes to painting. So card models are my favorits, they usually do not need much painting

LeeSCo

Nov 12, 2009
Fife,Scotland
I'm a realist and I don't see why a plastic kit or mold of a rare or unusul object should cost a fortune.The Galactica can cost £200 for the official model or I can find a relly good designed model that will look just as good on my shelf for the price of ink cartridges and stiff card.

Hi-Torque

Mar 20, 2008
Schkeuditz, Germany
Well (without boring you to much) long years ago when I began my career in aviation, I was a metalsmith. To me, card modeling brings the same pleasure and satisfaction of creating a complex shape from a flat pattern.

Also, card modeling requires a fair amount of ingenuity to achieve your goal.

And lastly, as I travel a lot, I can score, cut and paint on the move, storing all my kit away in the same space my shaving bag occupies. :thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I first started building card models when I was 13, because my mum could not afford to get the "cool" toys and models that other kids had, so I taught myself how to make my own out of card stock. Granted, some of my friend thought I had lost my mind and thought that it was a stupid hobby.
Later on, I had stopped (not due to the negative comments, but due to lack of time) for awhile, and then recently, I found this forum (as well Papermodelers.com) and started up again.
I greatly enjoy this hobby. I can not thank the people here (and at Papermodelers.com) enough for all the help and encouragement that all of you have given me (directly or indirectly.).

deadleave

Mar 20, 2010
I started when, Games Workshop models were not released with the codexes. Then it became more nad more fun and addicting.

techikun

Apr 25, 2005
Japan
I'm aerospace engineer. I design (some part of) rocket or something like that, but I can't build them. Manufacturing is not my responsibility so I'm not allowed to even touch our products (if not necessary). So, I build card models to satisfy my desire to build something, maybe.

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
It gives me pleasure to feel how a model takes shape in my hands. It also gives me pleasure when my friends and other modelers say "wow!" :)

gbwhitman

Aug 5, 2010
Houston
It's simple. It's relaxing. It's inexpensive. It's a skill and an art. It's entertainment. It's time with my two boys. It nastalgic. It keeps me at home. It's travel ready. And mostly, because I can.

leaw

Oct 5, 2010
For me it is a number of factors. The fun to cost ratio is unmeasurable, At times it keeps me sane - other times i'm pulling my hair out because a bit is just too fiddly, but thats part of the fun. my kids think i'm cool because they can see and help me make something. My daughter is mad on Doctor who and last night made a Cubee Amy Pond all by herself how many other hobbies can you leave a six year old to choose, obtain and complete on their own (she used scissors NOT a knife for all safety concious readers!!)

i love this hobby!

Jakar Nilson

Nov 22, 2008
My (late) grandmother introduced me to card models, with all the neat Dover kits.

And when I started wargaming, it provided a cheap (and creative) alternative to plastic kits. And I could build what I wanted, from buildings to tanks, ships, planes, and other doohickeys.

weft1630

Oct 30, 2009
Less guilt

For me modeling in plastic or wood is more of a shopping activity than model building--shopping for kits, paints, painting gear, after market decals, fillers, surfacers, infinate selection of tools. The stuff collects, fills closets, attics. Some of the money might be recouped, but the only thing worse than buying off eBay is selling on eBay.

With paper modeling the tools and materials are simple, few, cheap. Limiting myself to downloads (mostly free), kits are all stored on the hard drive.

With paper modeling AMS is much less of a curse, more gets built.

Morris.

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
I'm waging a war with the treehuggers environmentalists bitching about me digging oil to make plastic model kits. The more paper models I build. The more trees I'll cut down. The more models I print, the more chemical wast I'll create. I'll show them. The fun part of paper modeling is just a byproduct.

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
I grew up in a relatively affluent family. However, my dad saved up most of the money and decided to rent a one-bedroom house sign1 (we now live in a 3-bedroom condo!). My dad wouldn't buy me whatever toy I wanted, and I soon turned to card modeling as a way of getting free toys. I soon took to building things, and well, here I am! These days, I make models to distract myself from my depression as well as to fight off boredom.

thomaswg

Nov 19, 2008
Here is a tip for those of you who want the best of both world's, the ridgidity of plastic, and the ease and inexpense of paper. After you are done with your build soak your model in a solutuion of envirotex epoxy resin. Mix one part hardner, one part resin, and two parts denatured alcohol together. This mixture should soak into the paper and when dry give you a very ridgid model with a nice gloss to it as well.

Some words of warning too! Try this on someting small first. Although the expoy is almost non oder it should be used outside or well ventilated area. The alcohol is VERY flamable as well so think COMMON SENSE here!!!! You may also experience the paper turning somewhat translucent when dry so this is also a consideration as well. But this method works well for ink jet printed material as the inkjet printing is water based and would run if subjected to any water based mediums.

Finsihed models can also be painted with good results too as the epoxy coat is a great primer for spray paint as well

Status
Not open for further replies.