Why do the post keep disappearing.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
When I open The Gauge I always go to the New Post section. I left that section a short time ago and there were a bunch of post on it. I just came back and they all disappeared except for 3 of them. This has happened several times. I don't have time to open the regular index so I go to New post and get the latest posting. :confused: :confused: :confused:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Tyson Rayles said:
What is with all these time limits?

Well, sir. You see. all these "Neato things" including the things we had on the Original Gauge. Take up 2 things... Memory space & Bandwidth.

Memory.. In the Gigabytes, all costs money to have... & use as downloads. Yes every time you load a page it is bandwidth. If you use "phone lines" it takes a page of yours about 30 seconds to "download into your computer" That is where the temporary internet files come from

On my cable service it takes about 10 seconds for the same page. You see the "math"?? If we have 300 people looking at 50 pages a day - that's 15000 downloads a day. Now in a month that = 450,000 downloads. That takes money! :( :( :(

Now, about the "Time limits" when you or I enter the gauge - it takes your "You last visited" time and subtracts that from your "Present time" & posts all the "New posts" into a folder for you to view. There's another bunch of downloads & a folder that is just yours. There are another 300 Regulars here" More downloads - more folders. Now even if you Dont access the new post files - the folder is there - So, theres a time limit put on the folder that "erases" it after 15 minutes. :( So that there aren't a huge amount of folders out there all the time.

It took me a long time to learn all this, but just think of the "pages" being like letters in your mailbox. Every time you go to Photog & look at a page that has a bunch of pics. You're downloading each pic Plus Each Post's Text Plus all the buttons & graphics. Now that would be a huge amount of "Letters" (Packets in Net terms) that would be in your mailbox and then you click on a second page & it starts all over again. :( :( :(

So the more memory we use, (That's why we dont want animated gifs) the more the owners have to pay. :( :(

This is a critical thing when designing web sites. :( Nobody needs to spend more money they don't need too - like gas prices for instance :( :( :(

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
MIKEY,
Thanks for the neat explanation, I even understood it ! Sometimes we all need to be reminded of the cost of such services (GREAT services, I might add...).

Thanks again,
Iron Goat

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
saving links

Here's a little trick I use to keep from losing unread new posts. When the New Posts page opens, go to the top of the browser window, click on file and then Save As. Save it to a convienient file, or even create a special file for it. Then when the page disappears before you have had a chance to read everything, go to that file and you will find two listings, a file and an HTML link. Click on the Explore link (not the file folder) and voila! there are your missing links. :D You are using your computer's space and not bandwidth on The Gauge server.

ps: I am using IE 6.0. Fraid I can't help you if you are using something else but maybe you can figure something like it out.