Why do i have to sign in all the time

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I find that every so often, I have to sign in to a forum; here, trains, various others. Seems to be no pattern or reason. Then I have to try to remember who I am.
It really happens if I clear out all the "temporary internet files".

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I have learned the hard way that Windows Temporary Internet Files is where all the identifying cookies are stored. If you delete them you will have to re-sign in at whatever sites you most often go to. :mad: If you don't want to have a bunch of old cookies you can go to the Internert Properties on your control panel and on the General tab click the Settings button under TIF and set it to automatically check for newer versions.
Either that or go through the hassel of going through and deleting any that you don't recognize or specifically don't want. I've found that it's just too much of a pain and leave them alone. I'm just not paranoid enough to worry about who knows where I go in cyberspace. :rolleyes:

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Grrrrr Micro$oft grrrr.

I use mozilla firefox and it allows me to store IDs and passwords seperately from cookies so I can delete all the cookies and keep my passwords.

Besides - you are nuts if you don't write them all down somewhere because something will go wrong in a computer sooner of later :(

:)

neil

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Now its starting to irk me though. Now if I am away for a little while then come back to looking at posts without leaving the page its like it timed out for me and i have to sign in. Is it some setting that I have that I don't know about? I have it set to accept cookies and i'm not deleting cookies or anything.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
haha nice one, Shay. I'm not so sure its an Air Force thing because the laptop while i was over in GA seemed to remember my name (most of the time) I'm wondering if it isnt the search for newer versions of the page or something to that effect. Yeah I got back last Saturday. You might be on top of things if you went to the Tuesday night meetings :p .

petey

May 17, 2004
Hello B28,
I spent four years there, in "Southern Alabama". The cooling system in one small bar, just outside the Niceville gate, consisted of a large block of ice, and a floor fan. I am also from Illinois, Chicago, that is. I just came back through the State, stayed overnight in Marion. A nice looking town.

rockislandnut

Jun 12, 2004
Morris,Illinois
b28_82 said:
Actually it is somewhat. If you've ever heard of the boyscout summer camp up there I went there for a few years. My parents live in Momence which you might know is a half hr east of Kankakee.
Cool :cool: , I've been thru Momence many times but not for the last 10/12 years, as I'm retired and do not put to many miles between me and Morris anymore :( , but I sure put in the Model Railroad scale miles. :D

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
rockislandnut said:
Cool :cool: , I've been thru Momence many times but not for the last 10/12 years, as I'm retired and do not put to many miles between me and Morris anymore :( , but I sure put in the Model Railroad scale miles. :D
What you lose in the real thing you gain in the scale. ;)