Who's planning a Christmas layout?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Dr. John, Oct 5, 2005.

1. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Hi Guys ![​IMG] Nice pictures everyone ! I have a scanner I never installed yet. I hope I can get it going, cause I think I still have a picture of my trains when I was a kid, too. Roy : my bricks go together easily, but they get wobbely when you get up high & always had a hard time moving them. Usually started over if I had to move them. Boy did I ever play with mine a lot, too ! We build now on a piece of homosote or cardboard. I finally got the garage door & some other windows I wanted when I was a kid. Thanks, John
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Good to meet both csxT30 and Dr. John. :wave:

John, while I'd like to use a live tree this year, the hurricanes have devastated the tree farms around here. Not so much in damage, but the shock has them drying out from fresh cut in less than a week. Going to be 2-3 years before I can smell pine in my house again :cry:

Here's a pic for you, Dave. You can see that most of the detail is implied, my wife doing the painting and I doing the windows with typewriter paper and colored markers. Additional details are made with layers of cardboard ala Matthyro. Elim Bridal is an inside joke to any alumni from the Bible college where my wife and I met. Elim Bible Instute in Lima, New York is affectionately refered to as Elim Bridal Institute for its high high student marriage rate, so much so that the student catch phrase was, "Ring by spring or your money back." After 15 years, I still think I did well :thumb: :D

Attached Files:

3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Bob, there's a similar inside joke at the Lutheran seminary here in St. Louis. I have several friends who are Lutheran pastors, and, well, a lot of them enrolled single but none graduated single.

Your building is amazing. It captures the spirit of an early 20th century tinplate layout perfectly. My wife happens to be finishing up an art degree so I'll have to show that to her. You may have just found something for us to do together. :)

Matthyro builds some awesome stuff out of paper. I've had mixed results in larger scales trying to do the same thing. I think I need to use heavier board, which is what it looks like you did.
  4. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Nice layouts, guys! I still like the window display layout in A Chrismas Story. My dad even has the official Red Ryder 250-shot, carbine action, range model, air rifle to put in the window. :D I'd like to do something here, but my N-scale doesn't stand much of a chance against the two attack cats. :eek: Now, if I got a G-scale train... ;)
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, that's what I was looking for, something along the lines of a dept. store window display. I still sob like a little girl when I think of that paper, I had to leave a whole box of 2'x3' sheets by the dumpster, I simply had no room to carry it when I moved. :cry:
  6. koconno2

koconno2 New Member

The Christmas Layout

This is a great topic and I see a popular one at that…hope people are still reading this string. The "Christmas Layout" what a perfect excuse to start model railroading again. As a kid I had a small HO layout but now that I have two little girls, who seem to like Thomas the Tank, I decided that O gauge would be more robust. I started a Christmas Layout about three years ago that was just around the tree but kidzilla 1 and 2 keep trying to crush everything in their path so the layout was moved to a elevated board in the master bed room. We have a large window seat that makes up half the lay out area (little over 4'x8').

This year the layout has evolved into two ovals connected by a set of switches that I installed an isolator section between. The inside loop has two short sidings and its own transformer. I used the Lionel Fast Track system to build this layout. To keep my wife happy and on my side I integrated all her ceramic village collection from Santa's Workshop. This collection looks good with 0-27 size engines and rolling stock plus the buildings are well detailed and cheap.

Now that the track layout has expanded into double loops I needed to come up with a way to contain all the displaced buildings so the back side of the layout became a long tunnel. The two loops enter a double tunnel portal (by MTH) on one side and the exit is at the other end of the 8' stretch. The top of the tunnel is flat and is now an elevated surface to arrange the rest of the village housing. The multi level layout is visually interesting also.

I'll try to add some pics to this post when the layout is complete.
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

That was how I got started. Right about two years ago, my wife (she was my girlfriend then) and I were setting up my Christmas tree, when all of a sudden I had an idea. I ran downstairs, found Dad's old Lionel postwar trains, and brought up a loop of O27 track and a locomotive and some cars. It took some coaxing to get them running again, since it had been about 10 years since they'd last been run. A week or so later, she showed up at my house again with some library books. She'd checked out every book on train collecting and model railroading she could find for me.

She awoke the sleeping giant, and soon I wanted more than just a loop around the Christmas tree, so I built a small 4x5 layout in the basement out of scrap lumber, and a few months later I bought a couple of 4x8 sheets of plywood and made a bigger one.
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Hopin' this one would come up again... :thumb: Mine's up and running...and always a release from the confines of reality and the prototype police :p This year it features a Jeoff 6505 C+C pulling a full passenger consist made up of Lima freebies plucked from a trainshow gimme box. My faithful Marklin DNR Class O1 from 1949 still pulls its tinplate consist while a Rivarossi 0-6-0 pulls a short freight on the upper loop. The platform is raised 3 1/2 inches from the floor with a 4" toe-in to keep the tootsies in good health and a string of lights around it act as a night light to avoid nasty falls on the way to the fridge for some 'nog and Momma's home made fruitcake. Pretty busy for only 40"x54".

Attached Files:

9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Here are some pic from the other side of our layout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wave:
  10. koconno2

koconno2 New Member

I like the Army Duce & Half delivering the X-Mass gifts.

As the years go on I add roads to my X-mass layout.
  11. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

That is done by Matchbox Collectables several years ago

[​IMG]

Toys for Tots

:wave: