Who's an Amtrak buff?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I have 5 older n scale Amtrak superliners and 4 brand new Kato Amtrak superliners. When you put them together, it makes a respectable train. Thing is, the train I rode on in the late 90's had one of those observation cars with the bubble windows that actually protruded above the roof line of the rest of the train and I would really like to know where to find one but can't seem to. Did they not make an observation car like that for the phase II/III versions? What'sa deal?

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Trainnut: the cars you want are called Vista-Dome or Astra-dome or just Dome. Amtrack never had any made; all they had came from the other railroads (Heritage fleet). Most of the heritage cars were replaced by newer ones. Amtrack did buy some cars with full length upper observation decks in the superliners.
The traditional dome cars still run on The Canadian, and I think some of the cruise trains have something like them.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
60103 said:
Trainnut: the cars you want are called Vista-Dome or Astra-dome or just Dome. Amtrack never had any made; all they had came from the other railroads (Heritage fleet). Most of the heritage cars were replaced by newer ones. Amtrack did buy some cars with full length upper observation decks in the superliners.
The traditional dome cars still run on The Canadian, and I think some of the cruise trains have something like them.

The cars with full length domes that AmTrak has are all ex Santa Fe big domes I think from the El Capitan. I think they are still in use.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Well someone else was trying to put some seating in some of their existing Con Cor passenger cars and somebody in that thread mentioned Bachman. I took the idea myself and went and had a look and this is what I found....
While not exactly what I was looking for, it will do I think.

Attachments

• 717051.jpg
    717051.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 47

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Does anyone have any pictures on their layout of the new Amtrak Genesis P42 engine and matching superliner cars? I'm interested in buying the Kato version of both but would really like to see what it looks like on a layout. I know it's a love/hate thing with that P42 diesel...but my son loves the look and I'm trying to decide if I want to shell out the $$$ for the diesel/cars set made by Kato. So check your picture stock and post one!