Who wears an engineer cap...

Biased turkey

When running his/her model railroad ?

Post your picture here.
Next week I'll pay my annual visit to Exporail in Montreal and I think I'll get a wooden engine whistle to go with my engineer cap.

Jacques

engineercap.jpg

brakie

No engineers hat here..I am more of a modern railroader that wears a ball cap just like I did when I was a brakeman..

In fact I don't recall that many former steam locomotive engineers that wearing those hats while I was braking on the PRR..Some wore Fedora hats while others wore golf hats..I worked with a old Irish conductor that wore a derby.

Biased turkey

http://www.zealot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16866&stc=1&d=1097801354

A photo of me taken four years ago when I received the hat, and the neckerchief as gifts from my godson and his sister. I added the work gloves and took my place as the engineer. :)

Ralph

The complete outfit, nice Ralph. I must have a similar neckerchief .
Impressive control stand too. You just need to apply some soot on your face.
Well done Casey Jones. ( It reminds me of the TV show back in the fifties )

Jacques

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
In fact I don't recall that many former steam locomotive engineers that wearing those hats while I was braking on the PRR..Some wore Fedora hats while others wore golf hats..I worked with a old Irish conductor that wore a derby.

OK..So whats the story with the hat? When did it become traditional for engineers to wear that type of hat? In other words, whats the history behind it? Anybody know?
I do remember the old Lionel boxes, with a lion wearing the "engineers cap".

brakie

OK..So whats the story with the hat? When did it become traditional for engineers to wear that type of hat? In other words, whats the history behind it? Anybody know?
I do remember the old Lionel boxes, with a lion wearing the "engineers cap".

When steam was completely replace by diesels..Along came the ball caps,golf caps and Fedora hats..

Also gone was the traditional engineer bib overalls replace with blue jeans or Dickies work pants and regular shirts-short sleeves for summer and flannel shirts for winter..

My grandfather use to say "Today's(the 60s) engine herders look more like truck drivers then locomotive engineers."

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
I've got an "Engineers" hat. It was given to me by an American tourist while I was still working on the train as a chef. Will post a pic when I get time.

In South Africa drivers wore anything from golf hats to even a top hat. Now a days they don't really wear any hats.