Who made these.

Sarge_7

Does anyone know who made these? I bought them at a train show about 25 years ago. They were already well used then. They are made of heavy metal. I surprisingly,just picked up a pair of dummy trucks on ebay (for the second B unit not completed yet) and the guy thought they might have been Hobbytown. If so, they aren't like my other Hobbytown.

Thanks
Jim

47b7cf04b3127cceb11c18468c4100000026100AcNW7du2bM2Mg

Still working on the linkage between the trucks

47b7cf04b3127cceb11c05074da600000026100AcNW7du2bM2Mg

47b7cf04b3127cceb11c1aa38ca500000026100AcNW7du2bM2Mg

Pooh Bah
I don't know, but I think I have one. I took it to pieces (after I'd had it about 30 years, and it was used then) and cleaned and greased it. It runs, but it's a real juice pig. No manufacturer's name. The zamac in the trucks is starting to go.
Are the trucks mounted on little fibre platforms which screw into the floor?

Sarge_7

I don't know, but I think I have one. I took it to pieces (after I'd had it about 30 years, and it was used then) and cleaned and greased it. It runs, but it's a real juice pig. No manufacturer's name. The zamac in the trucks is starting to go.
Are the trucks mounted on little fibre platforms which screw into the floor?

Yes, that is the same way these trucks mount. I had to fabricate new mounts for them, the others were britle and broken. I imagine if I ever get a layout, these would probably still just be display pieces.

COX 47

I don't think Hobbytown but mabe Linsay or mabe Lindsey not sure of the spelling...Trucks look a little like Varney switcher but I don't Think it is Varney..Cox 47

Pooh Bah
On mine, the trucks are linked by a piece of plastic tube.
Someone (hobbytown?) used to make a sliding shaft with universal joints; I think I still have one in my boxes of stuff.

Nomad

Sarge, you can use fuel line from a gas powered model for the tubing. I have used it before and it is very flexible. Buy it undersized, heat it in hot water, press it on the shaft and it will shrink to a non-slip fit.

Loren

Ray Marinaccio

Hi Jim,
What you have are a John English FA1 & FB1, which later became HobbyLine.
I have a John English FB1 I am trying to piece back together.

Sarge_7

Ray, I think you are correct:thumb: I think I remeber these being called English Models when I got them:mrgreen:

Ray Marinaccio

When they became Hobbyline they went to plastic shells and drives. The metal JE versions are getting scarce.
The tubing coupler as mentioned above is what they used and works well.

toptrain1

Ray is right

HObbyLine. The plastic John Enghish line from the past made that locomotive. Here is a HObbyline H-10-44 made by HObbyline. Two photos.You can see the HObbyline name on each model.

Attachments

• 5-29-2007 HO trains 006.jpg
    5-29-2007 HO trains 006.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 8 15 06 001.jpg
    8 15 06 001.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 5